Brand soap, is it pressed or not? Where can one get a press?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goji_fries

Reaction score
One of my favortie brands of soap is "Nubian Heritage" which is found at many health stores. I looked at one of there soaps yesterday since I am an official soap nutcase, and noticed it looked like a double sided mold was used.

It has the feel of a commercially 'pressed' bar. Someone in another forum mentioned that commercial soap is pressed so that's why commercial soap lasted longer than artisan/homemade soaps.

Question is: Is this brand pressed? Is a soap press available at a reasonable price?

You can just cut out a generic bar shape from a soap log and press the cut soap into a mold, as is shown in Lee's video. If the moisture content is correct -- not too dry, not too wet -- the soap will be nicely shaped and have a glossy surface. A proper cure time is still required for longevity.

Or you can mill a soap and then press it into a mold with similar results. The soap has to be relatively dry before milling. That dryness and the milling process itself is what makes the soap more dense and hard so the soap lasts longer.

A mold is either hydraulic or electric nowadays. In the old days, the mold used to be set up as a "kick press" meaning you used your leg and foot to apply the pressure to the mold.

I found this:

http://www.italy-soap-machines.com/small-soap-making-plant.html

It's based in Italy, so I'm not sure of the price, but it supplies a visual example of what small-scale soap press equipment looks like (if you want to go that route)?

Or, if you just like the look of a really smooth pressed soap that has the appearance of being triple-milled, but is really just hand-made/hand-poured CP instead, you can go the 3-D mold route. Pictured below is one of my batches in which I poured part of my batter into a 3-D Celtic soap mold:

IMG_5428JasmineYinHao640.JPG

I bought the mold from Oregon Trails Soap Supplies, but Brambleberry also sells it, I believe.

IrishLass :)

Exactly the route I was looking for. Searched Alibaba over and over again and couldn't find it. I found rollers but I don;t have 30k extra laying around. :wave:

PS, I like the home depot molding soap trays. I am determined to make those; in fact when you posted that one a few weeks ago, I went down to home depot to look. LOLOLOLOL. Thank you

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back