Big Boo Boo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I made my first boo boo and it was such a "I can't believe I did that mistake." I made my batch but forgot to reduce water to take into account the fragrance. When I was mixing I got to what I thought was trace, then added the fragrance and everything got soupy. What can I do to this soupy soap to make it turn out okay? Rebatch? How do I do that? Do I let it sit into the mold till it firms up some? Will it firm up? I want to make this a learning experience and need to know how to correct my error. Thanks...

LeAnn

I'm not sure. Do you in fact reduce the water to account for the fragrance? I thought not. But, since you can enter your fragrance measurements into the lye calculator, I imagine it adjusts that for me, should that indeed be the case. But, I was of the impression that this isn't actually the case.

What kind of fragrance did you use? By this I mean, EO, FO, something else?

Hey, I'm sorry you had some problems! Don't be too much in a rush to get it out of the mold or to rebatch it. Waiting is not going to hurt anything at this point. Just let the soap stay in the mold for a bit longer, and see what others have to say first.

You should probably post your recipe and let others evaluate it -- it's hard to say much with the small amount of info you have given so far. Folks will want to know: What percent lye solution did you use? What percent of fragrance did you add? What oils did you use? What general method did you use to make the soap?

Hmmm from what you've said I don't think it was adding the fragrane without reducing your water. I always use soap calc and never reduce the water for my fragrance and everything turns out just fine.

I also never reduce my liquid to account for my fragrance. But, I agree, SoapCalc does the "calc" for me. What was your recipe?

Yeah, something else is going on. You don't need to adjust your water for the FO.

I haven't ever adjusted my water for a FO or EO. Maybe a false trace or just a very light trace?

I have not ever reduced my liquid to compensate for the fragrance either. It is such a small amount in proportion to the other water phase ingredients that it's not worth worrying about. That's why more info would be helpful -- for example, how much fragrance did you add???? Sometimes the fragrance does loosen up the batter a little when I stir it in, but my soap firms up just fine. I'm with the others on this ... something happened that's outside the norm.

I never reduce water for FO either and soap hardens just fine. I agree with DeeAnna that some fragrances cause the soap to loosen up but it still turns out ok

Soap Calculator

Well after my mistake I entered the recipe into the soap calculator and as I was doing so I realized that when I doubled the recipe. I did not double the lye. Let me tell you it was a big mess... My hubby and I played around with the soap calculator and let me tell you it is the greatest thing ever. As a soaper I pledge to use the soap calculator each and every time I make soap. I am happy to say that the recipe was not at fault, I was though in not doubling the lye... Also found the fragrance calculator and it works great as well. Thank you all for the advice.

Hopefully it wasn't too big of a batch. Maybe you can do a rebatch now that you know what the problem is.

soapcalc is a great tool! I don't know if I could ever figure out a recipe without it.

I've never adjust my FO for water either. I'm glad you found your mistake.
That would be irritating to not know what happened.

Latest posts

Back