Beginner's Guide to Oils & Butters - SoapQueen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I printed it. Although the shelf life of grapeseed is lower than I thought it should be. I thought it was a year at room temp? Will have to look into that.

Thanks! I was surprised also at the shelf life of some of them. I am assuming the shelf life is room temp with no preservative.

Thank you for the link Hazel!

I have a big bottle of Walnut Oil to use up soon I see. I had no idea the shelf life was so low, it is in the fridge though.

Question for the more knowledgeable. Does the oil shelf life transfer to the soap shelf life?

Im just getting an XML error when I click that link. :(

I found a way around it.:)

Last edited:
You're welcome! The link does appear to be down. I checked her other free guides and they're still available. It may just be a glitch and be available later. However, everyone can also find info about shelf life of oils on FNWL.

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/storagevegetableoils.asp

I was also surprised by some of the very short shelf lives of some of the oils. I'm not sure on what Anne-Marie bases the shelf lives. I know I've had hazelnut oil last for a year without refrigeration and she shows it as having a 3 month shelf life. Also, I had refrigerated sunflower oil for 9+ months and didn't have rancidity.

@ mel z -

I haven't had rancidity problems with hazelnut or regular sunflower. Some of my soaps were made with these oils after they had been opened for several months and the soap bars are now at 1+ year. (I have a lot of soap. :oops:) So, I haven't found oil shelf life reflected in soap shelf life in my experience. I can't say anyone else would have the same result or not experience rancidity with these oils.

BTW, here are links to Brambleberry's/SoapQueen's other free guides if anyone is interested.

Beginner's Guide to Cold Process Soapmaking

Beginner's Guide to Melt and Pour

You can also sign up for her daily blog posts which sometimes are tutorials.

you're an angel, hazel! many thanks! do you suppose we should start a "sticky" listing these and other helpful resources for our new soaping friends so the info won't be lost among the 1,000's of threads here? it would make for easier reference.

I think it's interesting how different vendors give different shelf lives for their products. WSP states that their Hazelnut oil has a 1 year shelf life and I certainly hope that's true because I've discovered that oil works pretty well for my oily skin. :)

Oh, upon closer inspection the link address has changed! So Click Here! :D

i liked her favorable info for canola. i love canola, but see it criticized so often.

do you suppose we should start a "sticky" listing these and other helpful resources for our new soaping friends so the info won't be lost among the 1,000's of threads here? it would make for easier reference.

Yes, it would be great to have a sticky for resources, articles, suppliers, etc. One of these days I hope to get around to posting one. :lol:

Seriously, I did start writing a helpful links type of post on a Word doc awhile ago but I keep getting distracted by other things. I just wrote a note to myself to work on it but I can't promise I'll get it up this weekend.

Latest posts

Back