Bath salts versus dry skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragola

Reaction score
Do they help or cause even more dryness ? Is Epsom salt any good used as bath salt ?

I believe the salt water should not be rinsed off completely. Do you apply a lotion on top of the salt ?

I live in the desert and haven't noticed a difference in dryness. I use it in the tub, but don't rinse off separately. I don't always apply lotion after.

the benefit of epsom salts is supposed to be muscular.

my experience and my research tells me that soaking in water (especially hot water) is drying, for starters. and if you don't rinse - salt, like sweat, is irritating. depending, of course, on how much salt is in the water - but what concentration would cause that I cannot say.

My apologies if I am being captain obvious over here, but the best cure for dry skin is water... Dry skin is sign of dehydration.. 8-10 glasses a day is outdated, nothing will heal dry skin like a gallon or two a day...

I do want to clarify tho that dry skin means small pores with little to no oil secretion... Dehydrated skin is what 75% of us have and call 'dry'... Someone with truly dry skin would be better with oils, not salt..

I smell a custom title... Captain Obvious!
OK, not really - pointing out the obvious can be very helpful as what's obvious to you is not necessarily obvious to me.

Not sure I buy that dry skin means small pores.
And, sadly, my 8 glasses of water a day doesn't keep dry skin at bay - It's got to be more than that! I believe that there's only so much you can do from the inside out - lotion is still a big part of my life.

Oils, yes.

edited because I did the math - I typically drink 8 glasses of water a day. For my 110 pound body that should be adequate. If I exercise a lot I drink more.

My purpose here is finding out whether salt is good or bad for dry skin.

Yes, oils are better than salt, but I don't know how to add oils to the bathing water. Of course, you can apply a lotion afterwards.

Soaking in hot water promotes sweating, but that water can be easily replaced.

Started to have thoughts about osmosis.

Soaking in plain water shouldn't allow the water to permeate the skin from the outside ? Unless there isn't enough osmotic pressure.

While soaking in more concentrated salt water, will draw water from the body (through osmosis). Which can mean that the skin is hydrated from the inside and the lost water can be replaced with proper hydration after the bath.

If we change the topic to water drinking:

Being dehydrated with 10 cups daily, means that maybe there's something else wrong within the body.

Also, anything over 1 gallon sets an unnecessary stress on the kidneys and heart, which can cause serious health problems in certain individuals.

Fraggola - sorry I steered it off topic by mentioning water intake... To answer your original question, I don't think Epsom salt (inci - magnesium sulfate) will make the skin any more or less dry than soaking in plain water or water with sea salt. Epsom salt is usually used in bath water as a detoxifier, muscle relaxer, also recommended (as a holistic-like alternative) for people with psoriasis and other skin problems. If a person has dry skin (little to no oil secretion - smaller *appearing* pores because of that), then moisturuzer should be common regardless of salt bath or not.. Hey, try mixing olive oil with epsom salt for a quick salt glow and see how you feel afterwards.
About the water direction I went in - yes, more than that will affect it - water and diet are pretty important... genetics, environment, habits (smoking and stuff) follow in just about that order, but we are all different.. many synergistic possibilities. We are what we eat (and drink). Nothing can make pores larger or smaller, but tight dehydrated pores will appear larger when hydrated.
As far as unnecesary stress on the kidneys and heart by drinking over a gallon a day.. I don't want to go further off topic by going into an alternative health direction... I've just been around way too many yoga instructors, personal trainers, and other therapists to avoid water.. I say ten glasses a day - if you weigh 100 pounds... most of us don't.

Fragola said:
Yes, oils are better than salt, but I don't know how to add oils to the bathing water. Of course, you can apply a lotion afterwards.

I don't know the answer to your original question, but it's easy to add oil to your bath if you want to... just add it! Or you can use a bath melt in the water or lotion/lotion bar after.

but it's easy to add oil to your bath if you want to... just add it!
Do you know a secret method of mixing oil into the bath water ? With me under the water and a layer of oil floating on top of the water, I can't imagine what good it can do.

little to no oil secretion - smaller *appearing* pores because of that
It just hit me that I don't know how to define dry skin ... Is it dehydrated skin, or oil stripped skin ?

After some thought, what should matter is the inner hydration, and not whatever oil lays on top, because that can be easily added, under the form of a lotion.

Fragola said:

Soaking in hot water promotes sweating, but that water can be easily replaced.

Started to have thoughts about osmosis.

Soaking in plain water shouldn't allow the water to permeate the skin from the outside ? Unless there isn't enough osmotic pressure.

While soaking in more concentrated salt water, will draw water from the body (through osmosis). Which can mean that the skin is hydrated from the inside and the lost water can be replaced with proper hydration after the bath.

If we change the topic to water drinking:

Being dehydrated with 10 cups daily, means that maybe there's something else wrong within the body.

Also, anything over 1 gallon sets an unnecessary stress on the kidneys and heart, which can cause serious health problems in certain individuals.

Called water intoxication and you can die from this. I've seen it.

Fragola said:
The skin is a good barrier (most things won't get through), and no water won't permeate. Else we'd all swell when we shower, which clearly we don't. Oh, and we'd die.

Called water intoxication and you can die from this. I've seen it.
Have you seen somebody die from drinking water ? How did that happen ?

The skin is a good barrier (most things won't get through), and no water won't permeate. Else we'd all swell when we shower, which clearly we don't.
I'll just have to remember checking my weight after taking a shower :D

On the other hand, stuff like salt will draw water from the skin, for which reason it's being used as a home remedy for burns (where the skin isn't burned through).

There was a contest at a radio show to see who would drink the most water. A woman entered the contest and died of drinking too much water. The radio station was sued, but I don't know what became of it. They probably settled the lawsuit privately.

I remember that, or at least very similar... The contest was called Wee for a Wii... Whoever could last the longest without an accident in their pants win (is this really what we do lol) anyway, yeah the winner complained that day of dizziness and sick... Died later.. it was a mix of her drinking several gallons in a short time (while resisting the natural urge to vomit) and holding her urine... Radios fault, they'll never do that again...

Water toxicity is possible... But if ur body is used to a lot, it will make use of it... Don't go from two glasses to two gallons in a day, but slowly increasing intake and u can do it just fine, ur cells will be happy... Jmheo..

I'm curious what the op is doing? Are ya making anything? Lol

Fragola said:
I believe they are bad for dry skin. I have no peer reviewed research to back me up, and I imagine you can google as well as I can so I'll leave it at that. It's my opinion.

Fragola said:
On the other hand, stuff like salt will draw water from the skin, for which reason it's being used as a home remedy for burns (where the skin isn't burned through).
:shock: News to me.

Normal saline is used to dress burns to keep them moist. Key word is "normal" - same concentration as body fluids so water is not drawn out. I had a large area burn on my leg from my motorcycle eons ago and that was how it was treated when it didn't heal well initially.

soapbuddy said:
There was a contest at a radio show to see who would drink the most water. A woman entered the contest and died of drinking too much water. The radio station was sued, but I don't know what became of it. They probably settled the lawsuit privately.

This was in my town (Sacramento, CA). It was very sad. The contest was called Hold Your Wee for a Wii. Several people, including a nurse, called the show to warn the djs and contestants of the danger live on the air and they were laughed at. The woman was named Amanda Strange and she had young children. She complained of a headache and nausea on the air and died within hours. She drank two gallons of water in three hours I think. I thought water intoxication was common knowledge and was shocked to learn it isn't. Too much water leeches minerals from your kidneys and liver and does something to the veins. You don't want more than a gallon a day. Though if I drank a gallon of water a day I would never get far from the bathroom! I'm happy with my eight glasses.

ETA: The djs were sued privately as was the radio station. The station was sold shortly after this mess. It was a sad thing.

MychelleC said:
soapbuddy said:

This was in my town (Sacramento, CA). It was very sad. The contest was called Hold Your Wee for a Wii. Several people, including a nurse, called the show to warn the djs and contestants of the danger live on the air and they were laughed at. The woman was named Amanda Strange and she had young children. She complained of a headache and nausea on the air and died within hours. She drank two gallons of water in three hours I think. I thought water intoxication was common knowledge and was shocked to learn it isn't. Too much water leeches minerals from your kidneys and liver and does something to the veins. You don't want more than a gallon a day. Though if I drank a gallon of water a day I would never get far from the bathroom! I'm happy with my eight glasses.

ETA: The djs were sued privately as was the radio station. The station was sold shortly after this mess. It was a sad thing.

I remember this, was it about 3-4 years ago? No, I had no idea that you could die from too much water until I heard this story on the news.

Latest posts

Back