bath salt ?s

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it cost effective to make your own bath salts for personal use? I am not all that happy with the brand that we are buying now. But I am thinking it is still cheaper than making my own.

Or can I use kosher course salt in part of the mix for bath salts? I have alot of that on hand right now. I am planing on using it for more salt soap but I have so much I can use it for other things too.

I always use Epsom Salt. It's really pretty and crystal looking. Cheap and works great.
Yes, yes, it's super cheap to make bath salts! Depending on your recipe, of course. I use only epsom salt, fragrance oil, and color in mine.
Kosher salt would probably work fine, too.

Yes, of course, do measure.

My recipe is:

3 cups Epsom Salts
2 teaspoons FO
color to desired shade with soap colors or food colors (avoid Red 3 - it will fade terribly)

I put all in a gallon size ziploc and massage the Fo and color into the salts.

I don't use cornstarch or any other additives. My salts hold up over time incredibly well (years - I recently found some of my 10 year old salts that were in perfect condition). I tried a few recipes in the beginning that had other things, but just didn't like how they'd clump up.

Always store bath salts in cello or glass. Don't leave them in the ziplocs because they will lose their scent.

You can use Epsom salts, sea salt, Himilayan Pink salt or a combination of the three. You can aslo add just a little sodium lauryl sulfoacetate to the mix for foaming bath salts. TBK Trading has salt dyes. I recommend the e-book "The Comprehensive Guide to Handcrafted Bath Salts."

http://www.makebathsalts.com/

Back