Batch Botched -- with update!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welovesoap

Reaction score
I just completely screwed up a batch of soap. Everything was going fine, until I split the batch into two so I could scent, dye, and mold it in two different ways. Well, things started going wrong when I added the RED oxide into the CHAI scented soap! I had intended on using the brown, shimmery mica for the chai scented batch. So, I attempted to fix it by adding brown mica to the red soap. And it made it… a diarrhea color. >.<

I then proceeded to scent and color the rose scented batch. The coloring went okay. But I realized, as I was measuring out the rose FO, that my math was completely messed up when I measured the various oils I used to scent the chai. I scented the chai batch of soap with TEN TIMES the amount of fragrance it was supposed to have. TEN TIMES. o_O

As I proceeded to freak out, my rose soap ended up ricing on me! Almost certainly because I took too long to put it in the mold, and because the recipe I was using was almost 1/3 shea butter.

So… There is going to be some major rebatching in the near future. :(

On the positive, I figured I would get some use out of my trouble by making you laugh with how out of control my soaping got today! :D

Oh my, I am so sorry! That is a terrible bunch of soap gremlins you have hanging around. On the good side, your whole house must smell of roses. :D

omg. :( I have had those days.

it's okay! a learning experience and you'll do better next time :D

There is absolutely nothing wrong with ten the times the expected amount of chai soap. I LOVE chai... feel free to send me your surplus after rebatching. :D

Sorry to hear about the riced rose soap. Definitely sounds like you have some significant rebatching to do soon.

dieSpinne said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with ten the times the expected amount of chai soap. I LOVE chai... feel free to send me your surplus after rebatching. :D

That is a good way to look at it! And, if you're serious, PM me your address and I'd love to send you a bar when it's ready! :D

Good news on the rose soap front, too! It looks a little more grainy than usual, but I actually think it looks pretty neat for what I intended it for -- heart cut-outs. Here's a peek:

tumblr_lx3wr1A3RN1r8cprdo1_500.jpg

As you can see, I liked it enough to make it my avatar, too!

Ooh, chai. Chai is an Indian drink which is widely served at coffee bars these days (and which you can find mixes for at the grocery store). It's a black tea with ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise, and cloves. It's served with steamed milk and honey. Yum!!

Latest posts

Back