Bar size

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctay122

Reaction score
Just curious as to what size everyone cuts their soaps.

I now have several pounds that I need to cut next week (I gave it a 5 week cure). I have mainly loaves( 4 and 5 lbs), except for 2 batches I did in a 4 lb slab mold (which I've decided I don't really care for).

Is about 4 oz normal?

I think 4 oz is a popular size. I usually make 2 lb loaves which yields 8 bars. I always cut mine the day I unmold them and allow the individual bars to cure.

rubyslippers said:
I think 4 oz is a popular size. I usually make 2 lb loaves which yields 8 bars. I always cut mine the day I unmold them and allow the individual bars to cure.

yep, me too. :)

i make mine about 4.5 oz., more if they're salt bars (which are about the same size but weigh more)... i could make them a little smaller, but i average one less bar per mold and save the ends to cut up for samples...

Hi,

Although I do not have a lot of experience with soap making as of yet I think that anything that comfortably fits in your hand is just dandy.
Not too big, not too small :D

Mine are usually about 4.5 to 5 ounces, but seeing that I hand cut sometimes the get lucky with a really big bar and the slightly underweight ones get put into the discount basket. I always cut before I cure. Makes cutting alot easier.

My bars are rather large, they are about 6oz. I have a mold that makes 18 individual bars so once I take them out of the mold, they cure individually. I am thinking of reducing the size for people with smaller hands.

Do you have one of those wood molds from Brambleberry with the dividers? I want one, but they're out of stock. Think it would make my life easier instead of having to figure out how to cut my stupid loaf mold.

I did cut a log of lavender soap, it's been curing about 4 weeks and still on the soft side. Think I should have cut it into bars to cure quicker.

ctay122 said:
Do you have one of those wood molds from Brambleberry with the dividers? I want one, but they're out of stock. Think it would make my life easier instead of having to figure out how to cut my stupid loaf mold.

I did cut a log of lavender soap, it's been curing about 4 weeks and still on the soft side. Think I should have cut it into bars to cure quicker.
If your soap is still soft after four weeks, I would reformulate your recipe first. Or are you saying you left it as a log for four weeks before cutting?
I have a mold with dividers and the soap is out within 24 hours.

I haven't been cutting any of my logs after I take them out out the mold. I've been letting them cure whole for 5 weeks. I haven't had any problems with any of the others, however, this one like I said is still a little soft. I was planning on waiting 5 weeks, but a friend wanted a slice or two of it so I cut into it against my better judgement. But now I have them all sliced and hopefully they will dry a little faster now.

Latest posts

Back