Babassu not good for HP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra

Reaction score
I'm HPing a batch in the crock right now. It started to expand too much and I had to transfer to larger crock pot . It seems really loose, usually by this stage it's quite waxy (been cooking for about an hour). I thought that was odd and then somewhere in the back of my head I seem to recall someone saying that Babassu oil does not behave very well in HP. Am I imagining this? My recipe is: water 15.2 oz, lye 5.848 oz
Babassu 30%
CO 20%
Palm 10%
Castor oil 5%
Shea 5%
Jojoba 5%
Cocoa Butter 5%
Lard 10%
Olive 10%
oatmeal and honey added at trace
Should I just keep cooking until I get that waxy mashed potato look? Will I ever get there?

I'm not aware of any reason not to use it in HP. If you find out what the issue is, please let me know!

just keep cooking! zap test every so often. it may not look like it goes through the "typical" stages of cooking but sooner or later it will cook through.

i don't know about the oil, i've never soaped with it.

Well, it finally cooked. Took four hours but finally no zap. Still really smooth and loose though. We'll see how it unmolds tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Latest posts

Back