Anyone Have Gnats Being Drawn to Their Handmade Soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbapril23

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with gnats being drawn to their handmade scented soaps? They are driving me crazy. I have never had a problem with gnats until I started making soap and keeping it in my house. Any ideas on how to get rid of them before I lose my mind? thanks

A good way to take care of gnats is to fill a small bowl or glass with some apple cider vinegar, then stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the glass and cut a small slit in the plastic wrap. The gnats are drawn to the vinegar and get trapped in the glass but can't get out. They should be gone within a day or so.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

there are also some sticky traps called "White fly traps" that can be found at various garden suppliers. Gnats are generally attracted to moisture, then foods. do you have either of those around or in your soaps? I know you would have moisture in the soap, but i mean in excess? something brought the gnats in the house first, any idea what that may be? Two years ago i found that some had found their way into my sewer line, and came up through the bath tub drain. I nuked them, and so far (Thank God) no gnats. Now if i could only get rid of the dust bunnies......:)

A good way to take care of gnats is to fill a small bowl or glass with some apple cider vinegar, then stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the glass and cut a small slit in the plastic wrap. The gnats are drawn to the vinegar and get trapped in the glass but can't get out. They should be gone within a day or so.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I would add to this that it's a good idea to add a very small drop of washing up liquid just before you put the plastic wrap on - it breaks the surface of the liquid which stops the flies being able to rest on it.

Gnats and fruitflies love fermenting fruits and veggies. Do you have pumpkin puré, strawberries, banana, citrus peel or something like that in or on the soaps? What scents are you using? Something fruity?

Yoghurt and buttermilk and such is fermented, too. I don't know if gnats would like that kind of thing, though. I'm just throwing out guesses! I've never had a problem with any kind of soap-loving bugs.

RE: Gnats drawn to soap

Yes, I have mostly sweet and fruity scents and a lot of them. I bet that is it. Thanks for the help with how to get rid of them.

Back