Anyone else into 3d Printing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else into 3d printing? I have been messing with it lately. Bought myself a huge FDM printer and I have been learning Fusion360 & Tinkercad. It is so much fun! Curious to see how or if you have used it in your soap/b&b practice!?

I 3D print tools for soap making, either extruder discs, pull screens, dividers, piping tips, or stamps. Tinkercad has been invaluable, as I have not wanted to spend the money on the professional software yet. There is learning curve. I would recommend joining a fb group for the 3D printer brand you bought, it can be helpful. Or if you have general questions you can also ask here, a few members do have one as well.

Reddit has been an invaluable resource for me 3d printing wise. Do you have any photos of the stuff you print? Or a website? Would love to check it out! What kind of printer are you using?

I had not thought of it, I will check out Reddit next time! Thanks!

I have used a 3D printed split pour cup (though is faster and easier to buy one), and made dividers and the divider holde (took forever to print, but I have used them multiple times). Also made a column oval. The possibilities seem endless!
I have a Qidi plus. Here are some extruder and scrapers I have printed below,

7C471873-617C-499D-B0A3-B1AE20DD9AE4.jpeg
81AE6D97-60BB-42EC-BB25-3EB26E583CE7.jpeg
1F14C494-89A4-4721-8287-98B457A854FF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

I have used a 3D printed split pour cup (though is faster and easier to buy one), and made dividers and the divider holde (took forever to print, but I have used them multiple times). Also made a column oval. The possibilities seem endless!

View attachment 77083View attachment 77084View attachment 77085

I don't 3D print but that dancer soap is beautiful!

how exactly do you use those ? Put on the end of pvc tube and extrude/cut? They look super cool!
If you mean the last picture for the gingerbread house soap, the round disc for the door shape is used in a extruder gun, which my diy version is exactly a pvc pipe and you do put the disc in one end and push the clay through (with a modified caulking gun) and the soap (which at this stage is called soap dough or soap clay) comes out on that shape. There are clay extruders that are normally used for these, I have now a stainless steel meat extruder that I use instead.

The other two are scrapers which you use for the “sculpted layers” technique. They are a bit more advanced techniques (I personally lack the patience for the sculpted layers technique), but it is perhaps something you can add to the list of of techniques to try.

Thank you @akseattle! I do like the result but putting together the dancer is very fiddly work. I am thinking of trying with a whole dancer shape in a single color next time.

Last edited:

View attachment 77083View attachment 77084View attachment 77085

I really like your work. It looks so pretty! The gingerbread house idea is great.

Is anyone else into 3d printing? I have been messing with it lately. Bought myself a huge FDM printer and I have been learning Fusion360 & Tinkercad. It is so much fun! Curious to see how or if you have used it in your soap/b&b practice!?
My son just bought me one for my birthday! It is also self-serving for him as well! I ask him to make me something for my soapmaking and he gives it to me! The first thing is my soap stamp, then I have a list a mile long that I need/want, want/need haven't figured out which is which yet LOL. He has two others but they were not the right kind for what I needed it to do, so now we have three of them!

I have a friend who is an artist, who is designing my stamp, so I should have it soon...I am quite excited. Then come all the goodies I have in my head for this new machine, my poor son will wish he never purchased it!

My husband 3D prints and he uses a site called thingiverse.com for STL files that are interesting. There are a lot of people who want something printed who don’t have a printer and if you’re interested, you can put an ad up on whatever social media platform works for you.

Back