Alternatives to stoves (as a heat source)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
I'm planning on setting up a studio to make soap in instead of my kitchen. Does it really matter what type of heat source I use? Propane, natural gas, open flame, camping setup, etc.

I want to use my solar cooker to melt palm/coconut while the sun is here too. Wish that were always an option.

Obviously ventilation is needed anyway.

You can use the heat from dissolving lye into water as a source of heat to melt hard oils Try this method

I have tooooootally thought about that! I've told people that have watched me make soap say "I get these oils warm, and this liquid has to cool.... there's got to be some way to connect them"

That link isn't working.

Also, I don't know how feasible that will be with the new setup I'm wanting to create.

If you just need a heat source to melt oils, a crock pot works. Might even get by with a heating pad.

That said, a high MP oil like stearic acid does not melt very fast in my crock.

I've used lots of different heat sources to melt oils in CP soap. Currently using natural gas stove, but will be moving soon and back to electric stove. The cost of running the electric stove is crazy, so I've used a hot plate with stainless pan. Also used crockpot, electric skillet, electric fryer (on lowest setting). I think any heat source will work, just remember that you will have to adjust heat settings to properly melt the oils (shea & mango are kind of picky). Camp stove huh? May have to give that a try - open air soaping. I like it!

I think this is what was meant:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35387&highlight=heat+transfer+method

I used this on my 2 most recent batches, and I just have to tell you I am not ever going to willingly go back to melting oils first. This is just so much simpler!

And I have to admit this to you, when I was making my first batch, I was so afraid of the lye that I put an old electric skillet out on the porch and heated oils in a measuring cup placed in that. Anything that safely produces heat should fine to melt oils. Just be sure that it is somewhat adjustable.

I would absolutely never use a microwave....

I think this is what was meant:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35387&highlight=heat+transfer+method

I used this on my 2 most recent batches, and I just have to tell you I am not ever going to willingly go back to melting oils first. This is just so much simpler!

And I have to admit this to you, when I was making my first batch, I was so afraid of the lye that I put an old electric skillet out on the porch and heated oils in a measuring cup placed in that. Anything that safely produces heat should fine to melt oils. Just be sure that it is somewhat adjustable.

That link goes to a post about thermometers. Was that what you meant for?

Latest posts

Back