aloe and oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rszuba

Reaction score
does anyone know if there is an oil soluble form of aloe? just thought i might try and incorporate it in a face serum, if i could find one, don't want to mess with preservitives of making a lotion.

thanks,
renee

Why dont you want to include a preservative in the cream? Creams, being made of around 75% H20 (usually) are prone to going rancid and growing mold. There are kits to determine the bacterial content of your products.

As far as an oil soluble form of aloe, try Aloe butter.

I do highly reccommend using some sort of preservative though. I have been making lotions for a few months now (not saying im an expert...only made a few batches) but I have not been using preservatives as well, and I find that if kept refrigerated I can make an un-preservified (i know you like my word...) last for about 1.5months without mold or nasties becoming apparent (that is not to say that theyre not present before then ...just the time when i started seeing objective evidence of them).... outside of the fridge I would say about a month until i started seeing nasties. This is lotion I was using in massage clinic and of course pulled once it gave any sign of mold or nastiness.

There are a few natural preservatives out there to try, I am just getting into using them but I think given my experience I do advocate their use (in the non-synthetic version...im against synthetics) and they really arent hard to add... just another ingredient.

Especially if you are selling your products!

hope that helps!

thanks, that helps a lot and i am with you along the lines on no syntheds.(like my word).

i did buy some optiphen, haven't use(synthed for baby products). i figured if i made an all oil based serum i wouldn't need to worry about preserv.as much, and it is only for my own use. i do have an oil mixture in the fridge with things like, wheatgerm, avocado, apricot, borage and rosehip seed oil, some eos too. just thought it would be calming to add aloe. i am highly asthmatic when it comes to ragweed(or chamomile) or i would put cham.. in.

thanks for your help.

no worries! glad i could help! and yes i love your word :)

I think as long as you store it in the fridge you should be fine for a month or two before seeing any nasties (which if your making for your own personal use should be easily attainable since you shouldnt be making TOO much at once for personal use...)...

oooo and i also just posted a thread in the general forum that may be of interest to you regarding aloe vera.... some new research, check it out! :)

glad i could help!

If you don't want to combine oils and aloe juice or gel with a preservative (or an emulsifer to bond them for no separation) why not apply the water soluble aloe to your face first, let absorb/dry then apply the oil? Same result without the other stuff added!

Tanya :)

You can use Vit E pure as a natural preservative (1%)

I make my aloe cream this way and is perfect, I dont like to use sintetic products but this is natural...

:D

Bibs

lecheymiel said:

I make my aloe cream this way and is perfect, I dont like to use sintetic products but this is natural...

Bibs

I think there is some debate as to whether the vit. E (tocopherols...(sp??)) act more as antioxidants (preserving the oil by pulling out free radicals) or a preservative's (needed when water and oil are present at the same time...water means bacteria if no preservative!)...

I have heard that Vit E and Rosemary extract will both act as excellent antioxidants but are not neccesarily effective as preservatives.

In my case it works perfectly... sorry because I dont have a more tecnical answer :?

mmmm... not too much time

I have them in stock no more than two or three weeks and after that ... I couldn´t know but, nobody tell me something about this... and people repeat so I guess... there´s no problem.

:wink:

IanT said:
lecheymiel said:

Bibs

I think there is some debate as to whether the vit. E (tocopherols...(sp??)) act more as antioxidants (preserving the oil by pulling out free radicals) or a preservative's (needed when water and oil are present at the same time...water means bacteria if no preservative!)...

I have heard that Vit E and Rosemary extract will both act as excellent antioxidants but are not neccesarily effective as preservatives.

Hi! This thread is a little old, but I didnt want to leave it hanging out there...there is no debate about Vit E, rosemary extract, etc working as a preservative as opposed to an antioxidant.

Vit E and rosemary extract may work as antioxidants, prolonging the shelf life of your oils, keeping them from going rancid prematurely, but as soon as you introduce water into the mix, you need a preservative.

Think about this like food. You are taking foods, and expecting them to sit around for weeks or months without going bad. If you keep your oil and water mixture in the fridge, and you have mixed it in clean conditions, not introducing dangerous bacteria or fungus into the container, and you dispense it with a pump, you can expect it to stay fresh as long as you would expect food to stay fresh in the fridge. So, a week maybe? After that, you are rolling the dice.

Latest posts

Back