Adding stuff to bath salts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyKat

Reaction score
Hi, all. I've been seeing bath salts that include wet items (like shea butter, for example). I'm not really understanding how that would be incorporated into a loose bath salt formula. I'm picturing clumping. Do you melt the shea? I've heard people use the term "grate" with shea, but the shea butter I get is really soft. I can't imagine grating it. What about other oils or fragrance? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Oils can be mixed in with bath salts. I mix sunflower oil with mine and then I let it dry completely before packaging or anything.

I'm not sure how they do the shea butter.

I see. Well, then I suppose I would just melt the shea butter and let it cool a little before mixing in with the salts. Thanks for the info!

Maybe it's the shea oil instead of the butter? That's the only way I can think that it could be added to bath salts. Even if it was melted down and mixed it would harden back up after it cooled wouldn't it?
I need to get some bath salts. I have a ton of oils that would probably feel heavenly mixed in some salts! I'm the queen of soaking in the tub! I"m my best tester! haha

I would think the shea butter would harden back up, too. I don't know. I'm too lazy to go try right now LOL

I'll give it a try and see what happens. As long as you spread the salts out on a sheet of wax paper to dry - and/or run them through your fingers once they're dried...maybe???? Seems like maybe they'd crumble back into individual grains. We'll see!

I have been experimenting with different (additives) to my bath salts, pls no one take that term wrong. By additives I mean oils, butters, lavender buds, etc I could go on, and depending on their state I might use my hand mixer to distribute everything evenly. Then I put it into my my jars and date them.
These are running experiments to see how the salts react to the different additives and if there is any change in my product and how long it took. But that is how I approach playing with my bath salts.

How's it going with the butters? I keep meaning to do it, but I keep forgetting. I'll have to experiment a little tomorrow.
When I mix oils or flower petals/buds, etc in salts, I use my food processor, well actually it's my bath and body only processor, that way it gets really mixed. Also, the food processor chops up the petals and stuff so it's small enough not to clog the bath drains and stuff.

Back