Adding silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatureandNurture

Reaction score
I'm going to try this out. But roughly how much should I be adding? I'll probably be using 100% silk fabric, so if you could give an estimation on how much of that to use, it would be great! I add it to the lye water, right?

You do add it to your water , I let it sit a minute or two to make sure it is wet ,before I add my lye . As for the amount I use a piece of the tussah silk , the size of my thumb nail . I would suggest cutting the fabric as finely as you can until you have a little pile , roughly that size.

HTH

Kitn

A lot of soap makers add cruelty free tussah silk to the water , before you add the lye . It makes the soap feel very smooth and silky . I add it to every batch , I love it .

HTH

Kitn

i use fabric and i add about a 1 and a half inch square. i snip it into small pieces about the size of rice then add it to my lye container, then i add my water and let it sit while i am measuring out the lye. then i add lye as usual and stir until the silk is mostly dissolved. i let it sit until my oils are ready then stir again....easy as pie :D

I love using Tussah silk!

I put in in every batch now..thanks to the lovely people of this forum! 8)

I use about the size of a cotton ball in a 1kg batch, cut into miniscule pieces into the liquid

Wow! I didn't know...

I didn't know you use silk fabric for using in soaps!! Has anyone had any color come through? Also, describe Tussah silk, please. How will I know it when I see it.
I love reusing things. :D

Unless I'm mistaken, tussah is raw (unprocessed) silk and you will definitely know it when you see it.

Re: Wow! I didn't know...

jmk7765 said:
I didn't know you use silk fabric for using in soaps!! Has anyone had any color come through? Also, describe Tussah silk, please. How will I know it when I see it.
I love reusing things. :D

No colour comes through at all as its natural, the silk reminds me of really fine hair. I purchased 50 grams from ebay and it will last a lifetime!

I don't even cut it that much now... let's say a 2" by 2" square into 4 pieces and it dissolves just fine. I put it in the water, swirl it around a bit and then add the lye.

I bought a strip of dupioni silk from joann... cost me $.90

Okay, I tried it out tonight. I waited about 30 minutes and it STILL did not dissolve entirely. Is it supposed to? I used 100% silk, what remained in the water looked like small flecks of silk, I went ahead and poured the lye into the oils and soaped as usual, will it be alright do you think?

This is very interesting. Does Bombyx silk work? Along with making soap I am also a weaver, knitter, and I spin. One summer I thought it would be a great learning experience for my children to raise silkworms. I had lots of ideas of what I could do with the silk, but didn't realize at the time how little silk you get out of 100 worms. I have lots of these cocoons left, I wonder if I cut them up if they would work the same?

Back