Add MY epic failure to the list of mistakes...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
I swear I have a brain. Sometimes, it even WORKS! Clearly, not this particular time. :wink:

Okay so, inspired by our lovely Surf Girl, I tried out some new things. Cocoa line, yellow dock powder etc. Needless to say again, I jacked it up.

Lessons learned:

1.) I need a whiter base recipe. My top layer is the color of expired sour cream. I could use TD, but...ehhh...I really just would like a nice white (non animal fats) base. Any takers?

2.) The line of cocoa KINDA worked, but I ended up with sprinkled cocoa down the sides of the soap that seeped along the sides of the mold. Do ya'll trim your sides when you do lines? It's not very neat. I have to rethink this one. I used one of those tiny butter dishes with pantyhose over the top to sprinkle it. Maybe a skinnier shaker?

3.) Because "Brain Fart" should be my given name, I made a 4 pound batch of soap and measured out 4 tsp. of yellow dock powder to color it with. Sounds good, right?
Ummmm no.

I SPLIT the batch to make separate LAYERS and only put the YDP in HALF of the batch but used the whole 4 tsp. in that half. DUH. Twice the amount I should've used. So realizing this, right after I dumped it in there, I panicked and thought "Titanium dioxide!" ...thinking maybe it'll lighten it up back to pink instead of the dark color that was swirling around my stick blender.

4.) I didn't mix the TD with anything before I dumped it in. So now I have white powdery dots all through the soap. Ugh.

5.) Oh, the TD lightened it up alright. If you like knockwurst as a color. :shock: :shock: :shock:

So here it is. Mock me. G'head. :wink:

oops.jpg

I'm trying this puppy again. I didn't get the speckles in the yellow dock half either, Surf Girl. Why is that? Did you stick blend yours in? Did you use powder or chop up actual root?

I think it looks rather nice LOL

I feel your pain though, I really do. I've had some real winners come out of the mold but overall it looks very nice for the first try at that :)

I'd be proud of myself if I made that. lol

So the bottom pink colour...is that from the YDP? looks great to me, I so must try it.

It is lovely! I love YDR! I have dock starting to grow in front. Wonder if that would work. NOT! That is my next try on my list! I LOVE that look!

I wonder if a small salt shaker might work for your line?

PS- :oops: I like knockwurst... :oops: Oh, and your knockwurst color!

There is nothing wrong with that soap in my eyes . It looks great. :!: :!: :!:
I know for you it was not what you wanted , but sometimes we just have to embrace our "troubled" soap.(voice of experience here).

Kitn

Add my epic mistake to my list of failures....

You know what? That soap looks great!

What is "dock" powder? And where do you get it?

I can understand your disappointment if the color or style isn't what you set out to achieve. That said, I LOVE it. So, no failure, really. Be proud.

Thanks but I don't know how I can "save" a soap with white TD splotches all in it. Rebatch, I guess - but truthfuly, I'd rather stick pins in my eye. :wink:

Personally, I don't think the TD splotches are that unsightly. Can you use these yourself than to trouble yourself with trying to rebatch it? What flavor are these?

I don't think the TD is an issue either . Who would know it wasn't done on purpose. I would buy that soap, no problemo.

Kitn

I must agree with everyone before me - the soap rocks! Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

Jude

i think you did fab for a first try

funny my yellow dock arrived today and i was just trying to see if i could get one bar of soap to look pink and i don't think it even traced......so at least you got soap....and it really is nice looking. how did you get the chunks of pink in the top layer? was that pieces of dock root? i was only able to get the powder, not the root.....i threw in some lavendar buds to give some pieces....but they all sunk to the bottom, so i don't think it traced......this is the first time i've not had a soap trace for me. oh well back to the drawing board. you and surf girl are both my inspiration.

Re: i think you did fab for a first try

rubato456 said:
how did you get the chunks of pink in the top layer? was that pieces of dock root? i was only able to get the powder, not the root......

Hi Rubato. The chunks were just grated pieces of a pink kaolin soap I made awhile back. Maybe we should all just stalk SimplyE and make her dig up all the dock in her yard to give to us, wielding hard, dry loofah and threatening to scratch her with it repeatedly, if she doesn't cough up the root! :wink:

Tell us what happened with your soap not tracing....

yes, it truely didn't trace

got home this evening and it was not gelled at all. i pitched it. luckily it was just one bar's worth. could have been a whole lot worse. i think i got a bit fast and loose on my amt of naoh and i think i was way superfatted. i'll try again tomorrow. hopefully better results if i get out the scale this time.

LJA: I was about to say what everybody here just said, but reading your post I saw you wanted us to mock you.
So, being that my duty in life is to make people happy, I decided to do as you wish:

GET SOME NEW GLASSES LADY! THAT SOAP LOOKS AMAZING!!!

Happy now? :lol:

Well I think it looks just fine! And I asked mr surf girl to take a look, and he does too - so I'm not just being nice. Your pictures with arrows had me completely cracking up, though. Awesome.

Re the speckles, I'm not entirely sure why I got them and you didn't, but it may be because I ground the root at home (coffee grinder) rather than buying the powder. Having said that, some of the powdered turmeric etc that I use will leave some speckles as well. It must depend on the fineness of the grind no matter who is grinding it... I was not actually going for speckles, but they grew on me.

I use the pantyhose-over-little-dish technique for sprinkling cocoa powder as well. I didn't get any smears on the Pretty in Pink soap (for which I used an extremely fancy milk carton mold), but I did get a tiny bit of smearing in the most recent soap I made (wooden mold with freezer paper lining). I'm not sure I care, but I might shave it off.

And re white - my soap was olive pomace + coconut. Very white.

Re: i think you did fab for a first try

LJA said:
Maybe we should all just stalk SimplyE and make her dig up all the dock in her yard to give to us, wielding hard, dry loofah and threatening to scratch her with it repeatedly, if she doesn't cough up the root! :wink:

You're on!!! Except that now, apparently I am doing yard work, rather than soaping! It is SOOOO prevalent in our valley! I will say, it is a royal B*&tch of a weed and gets HUGE! I guess I will rape and pillage while it is young in order to reap the benefits...(no offense to dock lovers!)

Back