About Rebatching...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannsgirl

Reaction score
I've never made soap before. I'm planning on making a generic soap base using the cold process method and then rebatching to make small batches of gussied up soap. In other words, I want to rebatch with my own base that I make at home.

Here's the problem.. I'm not clear whether I have to wait the 4-6 weeks for the soap to cure before I start trying to rebatch with it.

Any help, advice, warnings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.

xoxo

I don't think you have to wait just becareful handling the new soap,it could be drying or not sapped enough to not burn all depends. but I have not been able to make a real nice looking rebatch yet so good luck.

I wait 3-7 days before I do any re-batching, the sooner i use the soap to re-batch it seems like the the more smooth my mixture is. Also I try not to super fat more than 4% so i can add oils. haha and never make the mistake i did and store the fresh soap shaving in plastic lol

I find rebatching to be the opposite of fun. Why not make scented and/or colored CP soap instead? It's a lot less trouble.

If you want to rebatch, why not just start with a premade soap base to see if you like rebatching? It would be a real drag to make a large amount of soap on your first try, then find that you hate rebatching. It's also a good idea to start out making small batches of soap ( 1-2 lbs) anyways. You can add all the extras right at the start and save yourself the trouble and possible disappointment of how a rebatch looks. Rebatched soap is rarely as smooth and pretty as when first poured.

I hope you know that rebatched soap will never be as fluid as CP soap once was. If you must rebatch, the earlier the better. New soap that's rebatched needs no extra water.

Back