Aarrrrrggghhh Morphing colors & weird texture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marghewitt

Reaction score
Here I go again. I was trying to make a nice gradient soap using BB's Lab color purple. All of my ingredients were fresh EXCEPT one: the fragrance oil was about 2 1/2 years old. It was a regular recipe I have made several times. I triple checked my measurements and everything I added, can't figure out what went wrong. I added some titanium dioxide to brighten it all up. As I got to the top layers I added a touch more color to the pot and did a slight ITP swirl. It set up for over 24 hours before unmolding. The soap had a strange texture as I was cutting it, it was too easy to slice thru. It was hard not soft. As I cut each piece there was a little liquid seeping out that was a burgandy color. The soap color is a weird greenish yellow and looks more like a painting. I don't like the way it feels on my hands when I wash with it. It leaves a tacky feeling like the squeaky clean feeling X10 if that makes sense. I am not going to use it or donate it. Can the fragrance oil have done this? I used only 1 ounce to a 4 pound batch of soap.
IMAG0801.jpg

What fo was it?

IMO it's very unlikely that it was caused by the fo. Although the liquid leaking out may have been the fo if you didn't get it incorporated completely. I'd let it sit for a few weeks and see how it feels then.

It looks like your soap may have overheated and experienced some separation. The weeping liquid, soft texture, slick feeling, and tiny pockets suggest that. Some fragrances cause overheating. Also are you sure that the fragrance you used is soap safe? If it is approved for use in CP soap, probably the only way to rescue this is through rebatching which would eliminate all of your lovely swirling efforts. I may be wrong; hopefully others will chime in here.

I used Lotus fragrance oil from MMS. It is formulated for soap and they even still sell it. I boxed it up and will keep it for a few months and then decide if I want to bother rebatching it or not. If it overheated I never saw any evidence of it. I only peeked at it once during the night.

Latest posts

Back