A test batch gone.......right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sibi

Reaction score
Just wanted to share with you all my test batch that amazingly went right, go figure. I was totally expecting something to go wrong and it didn't. My experiment - I was feeling lazy and didn't want to melt my hard oils so I thought, what if I just plop all my oils, soft and hard in a bowl and add the lye water right after mixing. Will that hot lye water be enough to melt the hard oils? Well, first of all some info: I used olive oil at 45%, coconut at 20%, Castor 10%, Shea butter 20% and Cocoa butter 5%. Everything went into the bowl as is except the cocoa butter, I grated that into the bowl. Then I added the lye water. I wisked the mixture for about 3-4 minutes at which point all the shea had finally melted. I then added oats, coloring, and honey and continued stirring until light trace at which point I added the fragrance. Then I continued mixing until almost medium trace and poured. Smooth as silk - no problems at all. I stuck them into the fridge because I didn't want them to gel. I left them in the mold for a couple of days because they are still a little soft but given the cure time of 4-6 weeks I think they'll be just fine. :D Here's the end result (The sprinkles on there are store bought sugary sprinkles for real cupcakes, don't think sugar will hurt ya when you're washing right?)

honey-oatcupcakes-3.jpg

Woah cool. I always wondered what would happen if the oils weren't melted. I guess the outcome is still cool soap! does it feel different? have you tested it?

Soap_for_breakfast said:
Woah cool. I always wondered what would happen if the oils weren't melted. I guess the outcome is still cool soap! does it feel different? have you tested it?

Nope, I haven't tested it yet because it's still quite soft. I'm guessing it's because it didn't gel. It feels smooth and slick at this point. I'll wait a few more days before I even attempt to try and use it but I'll let everyone know how it feels. I don't know if this will work with all hard oils, fragrances, additives, etc. but I just wanted to share my experience with all of you. It can be done but I imagine everything has to be just so....any thoughts from the experienced soapers out there?

Chrissy,

Letting the lye melt all the oils is the originial RTCP? Really? I didn't know that. But does it work with all oils and additives?

Sibi

Yes, that was the original RTCP. Just pouring the hot lye water and using that to melt the solid oils.
I don't know if it would work with all oils, I think you did the right thing by grating the cocoa butter because it's so hard, you would probably have to do the same with beeswax if you were using that, but I think most other solid oils would melt with the lye because it gets so darn hot. Palm kernal would be another that I would grate, or chop (hack) into smaller pieces.
I haven't done it this way because I am scared of not getting all the oils melted and missing some, but it sounds like you've nailed it.
Sure is handy when you want to make a quick batch and not wait for lye and oils to melt and cool.
I'm going to give it a go.

I do RTCP exclusively. The only ingredient I melt ahead of time is the cocoa butter, if I am using it. Oherwise, I just add all my oils to the pot (my main recipe consists of olive, coconut, lard or palm, shea butter, and castor), stick blend them together until they are smooth, add my hot lye water, stir until the oils are melted, and then proceed as usual. Works great every time!

Sibi those are beautiful! I love the sugar sprinkles - I may need to borrow that idea....and I have to try that way of making soap. Too cool! 8)

I love rtcp, and that is all I do unless I use cocoa butter then I premelt. My soaping room is in the back and I didn't want to run back and forth so I just throw all my oils together and add the hot lye and stick blend to hell. I find this way makes castile trace at a resonable rate.

Hey Sibi! Love Love Love that Soap!

(neener neener neener - I have a bar of Sibi's Sugar Topped RTCP soap on my very own drying rack!)

Deda said:
(neener neener neener - I have a bar of Sibi's Sugar Topped RTCP soap on my very own drying rack!)

Deb, how silly can you be? hehehe :D But seriously you all, next time I go to Deb's house I'm gonna take some pics of her newly designed soap kitchen. It's bright and pretty and very organized. I admit, I'm a little envious but who wouldn't be? Deb, you can soap to your hearts content now in your new space you lucky devil!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! And yep, RTCP surely rocks! I imagine that with some FO's it just wouldn't work but that's what soaping is all about in the beginning, trial and error - and sharing with others of course :D

Latest posts

Back