A skunk got in my basement!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvan

Reaction score
I think a skunk got in my basement or it's that new batch of lavender soap I made two days ago. Seriously, my lavender soap smells horrid! I did it straight up lavender (42/40 from Mountain Rose Herbals) and the only things added to the batch were about a half cup lemon zinger tea, oats, bentonite clay and cream. I think either the tea and/ or the cream is causing this. I hope time is my buddy and this horrible smell doesn't make me hate lavender forever! Has anyone else had this? :eek:

x

is it kind of an ammonia smell? it's probably the goats milk especially if it got hot while gelling. it will go away as the soap dries.

milk (cream) soap can smell of ammonia or even rotten
lavender 40/42 is very camphoraceous - think moth balls

give it time: the milk stench goes away in a few weeks and the lavender may mellow

Probably the cream. Dont worry the skunky smell should fade.

i did lavender and it has really mellowed over time, bu i didnt use cream. Good luck.

It has to be the milk, I have used lavender tons with lovely smells. The betonite I use in my real life and other than a clayey smell has no odour. The crap ammonia smell will fade and you will have a lovely soap.

Hey, also, let us know how a lavender cream ends up. I have never heard of that combination before, also, pictures, pictures, pictures.

Back