A Really Silly Mistake I Made

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawneelynn

Reaction score
Soooooo... I decided to try and melt some bar soap that I don't use, just to see if I could liquify it (store bought) and I walked away to do something and it really bubbled up and started smelling terrible. Soooooo now just about everything I cook in the microwave smells or tastes like burnt soap :(

Sooo now I'm scared to try M&P in the microwave, as I've seen tutorials tell me to do. Is there another way to melt other than microwave? Crock pot?

Oh dear.

First rule of soaping (of any kind): you NEVER walk away and leave it unattended!

Yes, you can melt MP soap over a double boiler. Takes a little bit longer, and you have to stand right there the whole time!;)

Hope you get your microwave cleaned out, I love soap but I would hate for my food to taste like burned soap :sad:

First off, store bought soap can do some really weird things in the microwave. I've seen videos of a bar that expanded like a giant marshmallow. If you want to melt soap, its best to use a crock pot or double boiler.
As far as M & P, its perfectly safe to melt in the microwave, just zap it in short bursts of 30 seconds each time and never walk away.

I'm going to microwave some Apple Cider Vinegar and wipe it out when I get home today, had to Google it.

Could I M&P in a crock pot that I use special for soaping?

And I'll never try to "re-purpose" soap like that again, the smells were SO STRONG after being heated only a little bit.

First off, store bought soap can do some really weird things in the microwave. I've seen videos of a bar that expanded like a giant marshmallow. If you want to melt soap, its best to use a crock pot or double boiler.
As far as M & P, its perfectly safe to melt in the microwave, just zap it in short bursts of 30 seconds each time and never walk away.

That's EXACTLY what happened!!!! It blew and bubbled up and smelled terrible all at the same time... Makes me scared to even USE that soap again lol

If the vinegar doesn't help, try some cut up lemon wedges in a bowl, or pyrex full of water. If nothing else, the lemon smells nice :) That's usually how I clean out my microwave. Just zap it for a few minutes...then let it sit, because it's too hot to move the water. Then just wipe it out with a sponge or paper towels. A lemon-steam bath for the microwave :D

If the vinegar doesn't help, try some cut up lemon wedges in a bowl, or pyrex full of water. If nothing else, the lemon smells nice :) That's usually how I clean out my microwave. Just zap it for a few minutes...then let it sit, because it's too hot to move the water. Then just wipe it out with a sponge or paper towels. A lemon-steam bath for the microwave :D

I'll have to remember this for the next time someone reheat spaghetti without covering with a paper towel. We have one of those built-in microwaves with a drawer that opens. It's a pita to clean.

Just put some lemon juice, real lemon juice into small bowl and cook it for two or three minutes. Then take out and wash the microvave with lemon water, it should be nice :)

I put some vanilla extract in water in a coffee mug and nuke it for 5 minutes. Leave it for a further 5 minutes. Even old stuck on splaters just wipe right off and leave it smelling nice and clean

And if the lemon and water thing(which is amazing at cleaning a micro) does not remove the last of the scent, set a bowl with some broken up charcoal chunks(or activated charcoal) in there every time you pull food out for a few days. Just let it sit there when it is not in use. It may take a few days, but eventually it gets out.

Latest posts

Back