A guy here...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerJBaum

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tyler!

Yes, I’m a guy. I’m originally from Idaho but currently live in Utah with my wife and four children. While my older brother can build bathrooms—and the house to go with them—I’m over here making something you use in the bathroom. Not quite the same vibes.

In February 2019, a coworker of mine who was built like Santa Claus introduced me to the art and science of soapmaking. I never asked, but he obliged. I humored him by taking notes, but after I returned home it had piqued my interest enough that I ordered soap supplies. When they came, I armed myself with a sword and shield and shouted, “Leroy Jenkins!” as I threw myself at it—no recipes, only blind experimentation. My binder of batches (every single one I’ve ever made) contains all of my victories as well as complete massacres. I’m definitely better for it, though now I have the sense to read up first.

Even though I’m a technical writer by trade, I love the math and chemistry of soapmaking. I even enjoy calculating the cost-per-bar after they’ve cured! I especially love the creation process and the reward of holding something in my hand I made, and seeing how well it works. What I definitely don’t enjoy is 1) waiting for the bars to cure, 2) waiting for the oils and the lye-water to line up in temperature, and 3) absolutely, unequivocally the cleaning up part. But so you all know, I only ask my wife to help me pour the batter into molds—I clean up absolutely everything alone.

Besides using my bars every day, I’ve dabbled in selling them, but the only repeat customers I’ve ever had are my mother and older sister, and I tend to give away half of my bars anyway. On this forum, I hope to learn what I still don’t know, and maybe reach the point of being able to sell my soaps part-time.

Hi, my name is Tyler!

Yes, I’m a guy. I’m originally from Idaho but currently live in Utah with my wife and four children. While my older brother can build bathrooms—and the house to go with them—I’m over here making something you use in the bathroom. Not quite the same vibes.

In February 2019, a coworker of mine who was built like Santa Claus introduced me to the art and science of soapmaking. I never asked, but he obliged. I humored him by taking notes, but after I returned home it had piqued my interest enough that I ordered soap supplies. When they came, I armed myself with a sword and shield and shouted, “Leroy Jenkins!” as I threw myself at it—no recipes, only blind experimentation. My binder of batches (every single one I’ve ever made) contains all of my victories as well as complete massacres. I’m definitely better for it, though now I have the sense to read up first.

Even though I’m a technical writer by trade, I love the math and chemistry of soapmaking. I even enjoy calculating the cost-per-bar after they’ve cured! I especially love the creation process and the reward of holding something in my hand I made, and seeing how well it works. What I definitely don’t enjoy is 1) waiting for the bars to cure, 2) waiting for the oils and the lye-water to line up in temperature, and 3) absolutely, unequivocally the cleaning up part. But so you all know, I only ask my wife to help me pour the batter into molds—I clean up absolutely everything alone.

Besides using my bars every day, I’ve dabbled in selling them, but the only repeat customers I’ve ever had are my mother and older sister, and I tend to give away half of my bars anyway. On this forum, I hope to learn what I still don’t know, and maybe reach the point of being able to sell my soaps part-time
Welcome!

Welcome; there's a LOT to learn here! For me, that's a big part of the fun.

I've never had the job title of technical writer, but I've been told authoritatively that many of my skills align with that job description (I create & maintain SharePoint sites and teach business users how to use those sites).

Hi, my name is Tyler!

Besides using my bars every day, I’ve dabbled in selling them, but the only repeat customers I’ve ever had are my mother and older sister, and I tend to give away half of my bars anyway. On this forum, I hope to learn what I still don’t know, and maybe reach the point of being able to sell my soaps part-time.
Welcome, Tyler!

Welcome.gif

Even though I’m a technical writer by trade, I love the math and chemistry of soapmaking.
@DeeAnna is our resident Science Guru. You might enjoy browsing through her Soapy Stuff -- a treasure trove of scientific info related to making soap.

Soapy Stuff

What I definitely don’t enjoy is 1) waiting for the bars to cure, 2) waiting for the oils and the lye-water to line up in temperature, and 3) absolutely, unequivocally the cleaning up part.
The number 1 Rule of Soapmaking: PATIENCE. :nodding:

I've found that setting aside my pots, pans, bowls, utensils, etc for a day or 2 or 3, makes clean-up a lot easier. By that time, all the residue has saponified, wonderful, lathering, cleansing bubbles that make everything squeaky clean and ready to go.

ADVICE TO NEWBIES

LEARN TO SOAP ONLINE & OTHER TIPS

Good advice and fun to read:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/

Last edited:
View attachment 74491

@DeeAnna is our resident Science Guru. You might enjoy browsing through her Soapy Stuff -- a treasure trove of scientific info related to making soap.

Soapy Stuff

The number 1 Rule of Soapmaking: PATIENCE. :nodding:

I've found that setting aside my pots, pans, bowls, utensils, etc for a day or 2 or 3, makes clean-up a lot easier. By that time, all the residue has saponified, wonderful, lathering, cleansing bubbles that make everything squeaky clean and ready to go.

ADVICE TO NEWBIES

LEARN TO SOAP ONLINE & OTHER TIPS

Good advice and fun to read:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/
My wife would never let me leave a mess for a couple days since I use the kitchen! One of these days, we'll buy a house with a MIL suite so I can have a separate kitchen!

And thank you for the links!

Hi there Tyler, I am from Oregon and transplanted to Utah.
About 12 years ago, I became an accidental soapmaker, volunteering to make soap for our local farmer's market after the previous soapmaker passed.
I didn't even know there were different kinds, like melt and pour, cold-pressed, and hot processed.
It has been quite an experience for sure.
I am in a very rural area about 46 miles west of Cedar City.

Latest posts

Back