A few questions- from a new soaping person.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumikoKeel

Reaction score
Sorry everyone,
this is a new gals day of silly questions. I'm searching for enlightenment here:) Thanks for reading and responding in advance.

Is there a percentage of max liquid oils you should have in you recipe compared to hard butters and oils ? Or is that an individual choice? I know castile is 100 percent olive oil but, I think that is about the only recipe which contains 100 percent liquid olive oil? I hope this is making sense?

Is coconut milk considered a bovine fat? Since there is no actual listing for it on Soap Calc? ( i know this must be a silly question - I just can't find an answer anywhere). Since Soap Calc - has a Milk " calculation" for fat percentage coconut milk should be there too?

SumikoKeel said:
Sorry everyone,
this is a new gals day of silly questions. I'm searching for enlightenment here:) Thanks for reading and responding in advance.

Is there a percentage of max liquid oils you should have in you recipe compared to hard butters and oils ? Or is that an individual choice? I know castile is 100 percent olive oil but, I think that is about the only recipe which contains 100 percent liquid olive oil? I hope this is making sense?

Is coconut milk considered a bovine fat? Since there is no actual listing for it on Soap Calc? ( i know this must be a silly question - I just can't find an answer anywhere). Since Soap Calc - has a Milk " calculation" for fat percentage coconut milk should be there too?

1. I think as far as max liquid oils go, it depends on the other harder oils and the percentages of them you have in your recipe. I use many harder oils and less of the soft. It's a personal preference thing. But you do have to be careful too many soft oils and you have soft soap.
Olive oil is actually considered a hard oil in some circles because the cured effect of Olive Oil lends hardness to the bar, though it doesn't reflect in calculators that way.

2. Coconut milk is not considered a Bovine fat. My Vegan and Vegetarian customers use it alot.
I don't really use the milk calculation in soap calc- I just take down my superfat if I'm soaping with any milk product.

1.Olive oil is actually considered a hard oil in some circles because the cured effect of Olive Oil lends hardness to the bar, though it doesn't reflect in calculators that way.

I had no idea Olive Oil was considered a hard oil:) so nice to know -it makes perfect sense. You helped clarify some of my questions. It amazes me what comes up in regards to new questions each time I formulate something new.

2.Coconut milk is not considered a Bovine fat. My Vegan and Vegetarian customers use it alot. I don't really use the milk calculation in soap calc- I just take down my superfat if I'm soaping with any milk product.[/quote]

When you say take down your supper-fat what do you mean "take it down" ? I have always super-fatted at 5 % - some say more one book said 7 % Soap Calc is a default 5 % -I think? I'm scared of adjusting that number ( off on another topic I think?) -Salt bars are a higher super-fat because of the coconut oils ?

In the way of hard oils, I go 50-60%. I have soaped as low as 30-40% but I let them cure a lot longer

1. Depends on your goal.

Personally, I am aiming for the following:
- firm shape - a soap bar should hold it's shape at all times during use
- somewhat soft - I don't like to wash myself with a brick
- long life

Other factors to consider aswell:

- some oils are harder than others. For example, if you have a majority of soft oils, a little olive oil doesn't bring enough hardness to compensate, but a little cocoa butter might do that

- other ingredients can harden the soap (salt, sodium lactate, beeswax, etc.)

Until you gain enough experience, you can use the hardness number in the soap calculator as your guide or ask here for recipe feedback.

2. Coconut milk doesn't have much fat, and is often ignored. If you really want to be accurate - check the label to find out how much fat it contains and enter it in the soap calculator as coconut oil.

When you say take down your supper-fat what do you mean "take it down" ? I have always super-fatted at 5 % - some say more one book said 7 % Soap Calc is a default 5 % -I think?
Adjusting superfat this way is guesswork (I don't mean that it's a bad thing - it usually derives from experience).

It also plays a role as error margin. Certain books recommended that you don't go below a certain value (5-7), until you gain more experience. Of course, it is very much possible to make an error which is larger than 5%.

After you gain more experience you'll see that you'll like certain recipes with a lower superfat and for other oils, you prefer a higher superfat.

Salt bars are a higher super-fat because of the coconut oils ?
Yes, but they are close to 100% coconut oil. However, some people prefer to always use a higher superfat (10-15%).

SumikoKeel said:
1.Olive oil is actually considered a hard oil in some circles because the cured effect of Olive Oil lends hardness to the bar, though it doesn't reflect in calculators that way.

I had no idea Olive Oil was considered a hard oil:) so nice to know -it makes perfect sense. You helped clarify some of my questions. It amazes me what comes up in regards to new questions each time I formulate something new.

2.Coconut milk is not considered a Bovine fat. My Vegan and Vegetarian customers use it alot. I don't really use the milk calculation in soap calc- I just take down my superfat if I'm soaping with any milk product.

When you say take down your supper-fat what do you mean "take it down" ? I have always super-fatted at 5 % - some say more one book said 7 % Soap Calc is a default 5 % -I think? I'm scared of adjusting that number ( off on another topic I think?) -Salt bars are a higher super-fat because of the coconut oils ?[/quote]

I soap at 8% normally...I take my Coconut Milk down to 5% as a precaution against rancidity which really shouldn't be too much of an issue because of the lye but you never know. I also didn't like the Coconut Milk soap soaped at 8% SF.
I soap goat milk at 3-5% (fresh)

I just adjust superfats depending on what I'm soaping- taking it down or up.

Keep in mind because of the lack of fat as someone pointed out- this soap will not soap as hot like Goat Milk- you can gel it or cook it without overheating issues. Though I don't really have those issues cooking goat milk but the coconut will be cooler.

Did I mention- I love Coconut Milk almost as much as yogurt...but not quite. :) CM makes great creamy soap.

Oh and your welcome- happy to help - there are many ways to do things- you just have to find your groove.

Also- don't be afraid of playing with your Superfat- all your doing is soaping with less lye. No biggie...

Thank you Everyone

I'm taking some notes tonight - I don't have time to reply to each post but, you have all responded so very kindly and thoughtfully to my questions. I appreciate it very much. I see , I have much work to do:)

Hubby is getting off to work and I have to cook a late //breakfast dinner.. lol (night shift) for him. evenings are rushed here . Much Care to all :)

We're here if you need help. :p

Gotta love that night shift- my hub's worked it for years. I know that feeling all too well. Tough shift.

debbism said:
In the way of hard oils, I go 50-60%. I have soaped as low as 30-40% but I let them cure a lot longer

debbism,

I like that ratio 50 to 60 %:) it sounds solid!! 30 - 40 % would be a little low for me to play with I think? It sounds like I need practice and a lot of it:) Thank you so much for your help...! I'm like a kid...Soaping is amazing. I love it.

Stinkydancer said:
We're here if you need help. :p

Gotta love that night shift- my hub's worked it for years. I know that feeling all too well. Tough shift.

:p

My hubby, loves nights but, it throws me off !! I can't sleep without him :) Spoiled me...! I get restless and make soap...or knit, craft something. Restless me!!

Thank you so much young lady!! :)

Dear Fragola,

You described the perfect perfect bar of soap! long lasting, med, hold shape, long life, and creamy, and some bubbles more creamy.

Other factors to consider aswell:

- some oils are harder than others. For example, if you have a majority of soft oils, a little olive oil doesn't bring enough hardness to compensate, but a little cocoa butter might do that

What about shea butter?

- other ingredients can harden the soap (salt, sodium lactate, beeswax, etc.)

Until you gain enough experience, you can use the hardness number in the soap calculator as your guide or ask here for recipe feedback.

2. Coconut milk doesn't have much fat, and is often ignored. If you really want to be accurate - check the label to find out how much fat it contains and enter it in the soap calculator as coconut oil.

When you say take down your supper-fat what do you mean "take it down" ? I have always super-fatted at 5 % - some say more one book said 7 % Soap Calc is a default 5 % -I think?
Adjusting superfat this way is guesswork (I don't mean that it's a bad thing - it usually derives from experience).

It also plays a role as error margin. Certain books recommended that you don't go below a certain value (5-7), until you gain more experience. Of course, it is very much possible to make an error which is larger than 5%.

After you gain more experience you'll see that you'll like certain recipes with a lower superfat and for other oils, you prefer a higher superfat.

I can't wait to become more helpful in the forums.

Salt bars are a higher super-fat because of the coconut oils ?
Yes, but they are close to 100% coconut oil. However, some people prefer to always use a higher superfat (10-15%).
THANK YOU:) Very much, I appreciate your time very much for responding very helpful.

Shea butter also to some extent, but I don't have much experience there - it's a bit over my regular budget.

Fragola said:
Shea butter also to some extent, but I don't have much experience there - it's a bit over my regular budget.

The site I'm thinking of purchasing my next order from is the same price on both products. I like that I don't have to split up and order from diff suppliers since I make teeny bits of things for just our family. Thank you Fragola, so much! I too am on a budget - I'm hoping some day soaping maybe a income supplement but, so far it's defiantly a very nice budget savor - personal, lovely, heartfelt gifts for special occasions. I make bath gift baskets and spa baskets for family each holiday -birthday and or occasion - so nice to see them go Ooooo and ahhhh !! You really made these ? WOW... tickles me to see the reactions. Saves me bundles. I knit 100 percent cotton cloths for the shower or bath in stacks of five - it's all fun. ( I rambled) Sorry

I need to look for some butter comparison charts maybe:) if one exists...

The soap calculator (I often use WSP) has the basic properties listed (hardness, creaminess, etc.) and you can use that to vaguely guide yourself.

Beyond that, you should research the properties of each oil you are using, on various sides or using the search function on forums.

Fragola said:
The soap calculator (I often use WSP) has the basic properties listed (hardness, creaminess, etc.) and you can use that to vaguely guide yourself.

Beyond that, you should research the properties of each oil you are using, on various sides or using the search function on forums.
I'm checking that out in another browser right now:) I use soap clac usually. :) Too... !! Exciting stuff... I'm sending a small order today and awaiting fragrance oils from what used to be Southern Soapers:) woots... Happy Monday for me. Hurry mail delivery.

Back