A fabulous mold liner..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry S

Reaction score
I just watched a video on making Castile soap. The lady used a length of 3” PVC pipe which was lined with a material that she said she got at Costco. It came in a roll and was some type of plastic/vinyl material, not parchment or freezer paper. She slipped a piece of this into the PVC pipe which clung to the sides of the tube and poured her soap. After 3 weeks she pushed the soap, including the liner straight out of the pipe. It works so well, I couldn’t believe it. She then just peeled the vinyl material off the soap. Has any idea of what type material this is, or seen the video?

I saw what I think she used at Costco. I almost got it but I wasn't sure if it was soap safe. Nice to know it is!

I thought Castile needed to be cut fairly quickly because it hardens up? As for using that product from Costco, it sounds nice, but just because she used it doesn't necessarily mean it is soap safe. It would be good to hear what it is.

I went back and found the link Ann and after listening more closely....found that is shelf paper...I've got to check this out next time I go to Costco...but by the looks of the roll, I'd have enough to last the rest of my life...:p

My Castile is ready to unmold and cut in 24-48 hours. I've seen the shelf liner at Costco but never gave it a thought. I use silicone molds but have a couple large slabs that I could use it for. Will have to check it out again.

Last edited:
Did the soap have wrinkle marks on the outside? I love making round soaps! My husband gets these perfect size thick cardboard round tubes at work but I have to destroy it to get the soap out. I find that making round soaps produces less waste, for me anyway, I never have to trim them and when I make a loaf when I start trimming it's a disaster, I can never get it even. I need to get a planer.

I went back and found the link Dana that show her making that Castile with the tubing....when the site comes up just slide down to the video and play it...I as well have made round soap bars and my wife and daughters really like using them. I used old Pringle potato chip tubes to make mine but I had to destroy the tubing after getting the soap out. Sink I'm on a diet :p I haven't been eating Pringles so I'm out of tubing...Here's that link..
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/Castile-Soap-History-Benefits.html

I went back and found the link Dana that show her making that Castile with the tubing....when the site comes up just slide down to the video and play it...I as well have made round soap bars and my wife and daughters really like using them. I used old Pringle potato chip tubes to make mine but I had to destroy the tubing after getting the soap out. Sink I'm on a diet :p I haven't been eating Pringles so I'm out of tubing...Here's that link..
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/Castile-Soap-History-Benefits.html

It is very east to line the cans with parchment or freezer paper. Here is a link to my first batch were I used a chip can.

http://youtu.be/NN06pEUXMgo

You cut off the bottom with a box cutter or exacto knife and use the lid as the bottom of the mold. When it is time to unmold, you take off the plastic lid and push the round out and peel off the paper.

I bet the shelf liner is reusable a few times. Might be better for the environment/pocketbook.

I use the 3" pvc pipe also, and use the vinyl shelf paper for the liner, it works great! Get the kind with no adhesive backing. I have reused it many times, and see no signs of deterioration. It should be usable for many many more batches.

Last edited:
Crystal Lite containers make great, reusable molds that need no liners, and the sides come out as smooth as glass.

ale and oats side1.jpg

I've been using the pvc pipe with the plastic shelf liner and it works great. Just carefully cut it to length to fit the mold tight without an overlap and the soap will be round and smooth. It pushes out easily and the plastic peels readily. It is quite durable and will likely last for a long time.

Thanks for the links guys! I am so pathetic at trimming the sides of my soaps from my slab mold. I will trim one side and its not straight so I end up over compensating, and I end up turning a 3 x 4 inch bar into a guest soap! I do not have an artistic bone in my body. Thank god my soap feels great because they are so ugly only a mother could love them.
Thats why I love round soaps so much.

FYI - A guy at Lowes guided me to these clear tubes that are used to cover fluorescent bulbs - and they look like they'd make PERFECT, affordable molds. Since they are quite long, they'd make a few, actually. I plan to try them next week. 4 foot length was 5$ and change. Sounds more affordable than pringles or crystal light, for those of us who don't eat/drink either. I am eager to try these tubes. Has anyone else tried these bulb covers? (They come in 2 different diameters too.)

Just looked up what these covers are made up of for fluorescent lights, and they are made with polycarbonate plastic. Also come with end caps. States they are flexible and unbreakable? Is this ok for CP and MP soap? I'd imagine so. 4ft length on Amazon was just over $1 plus s/h. Great idea Prairielights! Let us know how they work! Would you need a liner? Or would it act like acrylic mold?

I tried the Pringles can as a mold a few months ago, and it worked really well. The problem was that I usually don't buy chips, and we're trying to eat healthier. Of course, you KNOW that my family and I chowed those chips down! Recently I bought some PVC pipe from a big box hardware store in our area for a few bucks, and it seems to work really well (although it's a little bit difficult to clean).

Latest posts

Back