A cracked loaf

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the cracked loaf I made a post about earlier in the CP forum. 100% coconut oil

Before: isn't it pretty?
2qcdyk4.jpg

The crack after a few minutes in the freezer, its really deep
2q0t4aw.jpg

2m2w9k4.jpg

Repaired
1zlgmwy.jpg

i must say you did a great job with that fix :) . you center must have given a whole lot of heat . i am interested to see a slice when you do cut it .

Its beautiful before and after the crack, great job! Are those poppy seeds?

Nice! Would love to have seen your face when you saw it actually crack open

I said bad words...

I really like how fast this soap sets up. I could have waited a bit longer to cut but I was impatient. Very happy with the swirls. Scented with huckleberry and lemongrass. Poppy seeds in the top.

You can see where is stopped gelling about 1/2" from the top.
au71h2.jpg

154k2o9.jpg

look close on this one near the top to the left and you can see a small hole, thats from the crack.
b7h1yr.jpg

I think I would have grabbed one of my long skinny scraps from my slab mold in a contrasting color and driven it into the crack like some of those neat embeds that you see... If course I'm sure I would have done it wrong and it wouldn't have looked nearly as nice as your repair. I bet it looks just fine when you slice it.

Nice save on that one - I'd never know it had a crack unless you pointed it out to me! Lovely looking soap. :)

Last edited:
I lucked out with this one. Some time I'd like to fill a crack with M & P but I need a good base for that. I love the look of poppy seeds but I don't like the feel so I figured a little in the top shouldn't be too scratchy.

Great job, Obsidian! Terrific on the fix and gorgeous soap. I bet it smells amazing too. Like the others said, if you hadn't pointed it out, I never would have noticed it was there. My focus was derailed from the crack by the beauty of the soap! :clap:

It does smell amazing, the huckleberry FO is a great fruity scent and with the lemongrass, it smells like food:) I think it was simply the heat from the coconut oil.
To fix, I laid a piece of cling wrap over the loaf and gently squeezed it back together as much as possible then I used a spoon to retexture the top, shoving batter down into the crack as I went.

Wow, that must have been heartbreaking/fascinating to watch! You did an amazing repair job, it looks great. I've never had soap crack like that. Brains yes, crack no. With brains you can pretend it's a design choice. Crack has to be scarier.

smileys-scare-248682.gif

Well that was a genius save and the soap looks incredible! I have a question about the poppy seeds, are they scratchy? I want to try making some with the poppy seeds throughout the soap, but I'm worried they're too rough.

liking those bars , they came out great , nice swirls . you did a great job on the crack repair :)

Latest posts

Back