A couple question for Aussie soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonkaz

Reaction score
A couple of questions I need some help with ... ta!

I'm getting a wooden log mould for Mother's Day. I've read that I'll need to line it with 'freezer paper' ... what is that in Australia? Any other advice, as I've only used silcon moulds.

I usually buy mechanix lye at the supermarket, but today they didn't have any. They did have a couple of other brands ... that sounded good, but I'm not sure. What brands do you buy?

I use mechanix only, I get it at woolies so maybe try another store. Freezer paper is just baking paper I think, but I use something else. I have some wooden moulds I got from the cheap shop and modified them, and I line them with cut out bits of those clear plastic cutting boards from the cheap shop. I'll be doing a post on how I did those later in the week, batteries dead on camera.

I don't use wooden moulds, but I know Nizzy (Nizzy's moulds) uses the plastic you get for laminating. Apparently he goes to laminating "shops"? and gets their offcuts.

I use baking paper to line the moulds. I only use Mechanix caustic soda and you need to be careful not to use drain cleaner. I'd stick to Mechanix. Bunnings have it in larger size. :wink:

I use Recochem caustic soda and buy it at bunnings in 2kg pack, if you go to their website you'll find that it is recommended for soapmaking. I ran the company and they confirmed that it is only sodium hydroxide with nothing added. I use Mechanix also when I can get it

I just use Mechanix, I just throw one in the basket every time I go to Woolies when I do the groceries. Its $3.89, that way I don't notice the cost as much.
I line my wooden mould with baking paper and get it from Aldi, thats the cheapest I've found.

Relle.

Thanks Jenny and Elly, I must go to Bunnings and see how much the caustic is there.

Relle.

Mechanix here as well.....I mostly use freezer bags cut open in my wood mold, but I used baking paper on the weekend and the sides of thge soap are much nicer, and I kinda thought that I couls reuse the paper a few times....if Im wrong on the someone please correct me

Hey I got some corflute lying around ( the stuff for sale signs are made from ) you can also get it from bunnings for free...they use it between the pavers.....I made myself a slab mold ( as in my pic in the pic section ) and it worked perfect......it measured 30x33x5cm, which gave me 15 soaps..10x6x2.5cm each.....I am very happy with the out come and am going to make a bigger ......

Traceyann said:
Hey I got some corflute lying around ( the stuff for sale signs are made from ) you can also get it from bunnings for free...they use it between the pavers.....I made myself a slab mold ( as in my pic in the pic section ) and it worked perfect......it measured 30x33x5cm, which gave me 15 soaps..10x6x2.5cm each.....I am very happy with the out come and am going to make a bigger ......

I made one with corflute too. Works really well. Just don't use printed corflute because it marks the soap. Yanno how I found this out. :lol:

For our USA soap buddies, corflute is Coroplast. :wink:

Yeah Relle, it comes in different sizes, you can get the black one free from bunnings, or you can buy the white one I think its about $9 a sheet which is fairly large....You just score it where you want it to bend, but if u do cut through it just use come duct tape to fix it ......

I did line mine with a freezer bag in case it leaked and I am so happy with the out come

You guys are amazing ... thanks so much for all the advice ... incredible!

I will definitely go to Bunnings and check out there lye. I usually buy mechanix at Woollies or coles ... but this is the second time I've not found any ... and it would be great to buy it in larger amounts.

Using corflute to make moulds ... now that is an interesting and inexpensive idea ... thanks Tracey!

Thanks so much for so many great ideas!

Freezer paper is different than baking paper. It's bonded.. paper one side,plastic the other and it's FABULOUS.I love it.Baking paper gives the crinklies. You can find it at some quilting stores(which is where I got mine). I searched ages before I found some. It's also called deli paper but I dont think that comes in a roll.
Try these places
http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/re ... zer_paper/

http://www.ozquilts.com.au/freezer-paper-c533.html

http://www.usafoods.com.au/p1831/other- ... zer-paper/

Or by the metre at local places usually.

You can get it cheaper in the states,but then postage is a killer...

I've not been able to reuse my baking paper. I find it get a bit of moisture in it and tears easily.

What a great idea with making the moulds. I might try this when I get some free time. Thanx for sharing that.

I get my lye from escentials. 5kgs/$20(gross). Thought that pretty good value. I do find the big container a PITA though.
I was buying from the local IGA but its $4.50 for 500g & 130grams of that is bottle. RIPOFF!!
Does anyone know how much it is at bunnings???

nattynoo said:
I've not been able to reuse my baking paper. I find it get a bit of moisture in it and tears easily.

What a great idea with making the moulds. I might try this when I get some free time. Thanx for sharing that.

I get my lye from escentials. 5kgs/$20(gross). Thought that pretty good value. I do find the big container a PITA though.
I was buying from the local IGA but its $4.50 for 500g & 130grams of that is bottle. RIPOFF!!
Does anyone know how much it is at bunnings???

It's 500g contents with the Mechanix. I actually prefer the smaller container as it's easier to spoon out. Last time I looked, Bunnings was more expensive than the supermarket. :wink:

Traceyann said:
Mechanix here as well.....I mostly use freezer bags cut open in my wood mold, but I used baking paper on the weekend and the sides of thge soap are much nicer, and I kinda thought that I couls reuse the paper a few times....if Im wrong on the someone please correct me

Yes I re-use the baking paper a few times (or at least twice). :wink:

Back