6 month old rice bran oil...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an open bottle of rbo, about 5 - 6 years old, not stored in fridge.
Does it keep well? I'd like to make Christmas soap with it so I don't want dos in the next 6 months.

I personally wouldn't use it. Some might say open and smell it if it doesn't smell rancid go for it. I think rbo is cheap enough to just toss it. Jmho

Wait... your title says 6 months but your post says 6 years. Big difference!

Six months and smells/tastes normal? Absolutely I'd use it! Six years and smells/tastes normal? I'd probably still use it (only for soap making), and make a note of it on the soap sheet. Then I'd keep a careful eye on it over time.

I should also say, I don't sell.

....uh....just seeing if you all are paying attention! ('cause obviously I wasn't).

It's months, not years. Yes it smells fine, but these soaps will be gifts so I'm going to use olive oil instead. No one but me will know this is a change from my favorite recipe.

Our Trader Joe's doesn't carry rbo any more :thumbdown: and I find it has a different feel in soap than olive oil.

....uh....just seeing if you all are paying attention! ('cause obviously I wasn't).

It's months, not years. Yes it smells fine, but these soaps will be gifts so I'm going to use olive oil instead. No one but me will know this is a change from my favorite recipe.

Our Trader Joe's doesn't carry rbo any more :thumbdown: and I find it has a different feel in soap than olive oil.
Depending on where you live some Restaurant supply stores carry RBO and reasonable prices. I love RBO in soap and like the feel better than OO, but I do not like the color it adds. I would still use what you have for soap, any of my RBO has a year shelf life and I have kept it longer with no problems by adding in some roe when I first open the tote. I add roe to most of my 5 gallon totes when I open them

I store unopened rice bran oil in the basement and use it until it is gone. If you are using it for soap and it smells OK, use it.

Depending on where you live some Restaurant supply stores carry RBO and reasonable prices. I love RBO in soap and like the feel better than OO, but I do not like the color it adds. I would still use what you have for soap, any of my RBO has a year shelf life and I have kept it longer with no problems by adding in some roe when I first open the tote. I add roe to most of my 5 gallon totes when I open them

What is roe?:?:

Use it. I made soap about 4-5 months ago. From rice bran that was a year old. No problem. Make sure smells ok. Don't throw your money away. Rice bran oil is not cheap by any means

Latest posts

Back