$$$$$

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have started explaining the expense by saying, "OK, I just saved $7 by not buying that bar soap, and I saved $4 by not buying that bar soap...OH, and I saved $12 by making my own laundry soap! So, actually I am saving us money!"

Pay no attention to the new $30 crock pot or the $100 in essential oils that arrived in the mail today. :lol:

I am still at the only making soap for family stage. So my crockpot is one my sis-in-law got for a wedding present in 1986. It still works. My stick blender is from the thrift store-$2.50. So, no expense there.

"I could make soap without EO's," I innocently tell people,"but it would smell like lard. You don't want to use lard smelling soap, do you? I am doing this for you!"

I order what I want/need when I feel like it. I just say honey I had to have it to make more money....he's buying it so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. FO's are my downfall.

The spending frenzy does taper off over time.

If I could give my new soaping self advice it would be to go easy on the fragrances. I have SO many 1 ounce sample bottles.

Honestly not too much NEEDS to be spent, but there are sooooooo many things I WANT! Unfortunately for me, hubby is on a low spending kick right now so I'm trying to keep a reign on my spending :cry:
Still...there's the ever elusive search for the 'perfect' sandalwood and frankincense & myrrh....then of course all the oils I'd like to try. Oh..and tussah silk, and....and.... ;)

I figure once you get what you need/want, it would taper off until you need to replace stuff, and then it would be a thing or two at a time. Maybe :)

tkine, are the sales on Aztek half off of the price that's shown on the page ie, for the 10lb lye it's showing $23.74. Is the price half of $23.74 or the whole amount of $23.74? I'm asking because on the details of the sale, it says that they changed the prices on the page to reflect the sale already for today only. I called the company and can't get an answer.

I did that on etsy with washi tape for packaging ideas!!! Hahhaha I loaded up and then ran from it as fast as possible.

I have enough essential and fragrance oils to stock a small store. I also have many solid and liquid soap makig oils. I have a good supply of various surfactants and humectants. However, I comfort myself with the knowledge that I haven't purchased bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, body butter, scrub, lotion or liquid dish detergent for a long time. I make my own.
My husband and I don't go out to eat so I figure I am using my "out-to-eat" money on my crafting.

I have too much common sense to buy like crazy. I buy what I need and that is it. I have enough money to really go nuts but I do not. Why? Because I will never use it all. There is a bell curve to soaping. Spending little, then spending more then going back to basics and not spending alot. You do not Need all the fancy stuff to make awesome soap. In most cases it hurts more than it helps. If you do not use all your oils and FO and EO they do Not last past 2 years. Most will not make it past one year. So you bought it and never used it so it is a waste of money. Better to stash the money in case you really need it later. You can look shop and just figure out what you might spend stash it and look at the stash 6 months latter. You will be amazed how much money you put away. Impluse buying is not a good thing with the economy the way it is right now. OK I am off my high horse. :)

Yes, I have more fo's than what I use in a few months. ;)

I make cheap soaps, lol. I've only scented one soap so far and I used up peppermint EO I already had on hand. I'd like to start soaping with scents (EOs due to sensitivities. FOs won't come until I can purchase a respirator too I think!) but its just too expensive. Colors though, colors I want! And NOW! I blame this forum, I didn't really care so much until I started seeing all your photos of beautiful colored soap ;) My bf got me the BB color sampler and now I'm hooked spending my nights loading oxides and mica into shopping carts... One day I'll get to the submit button ;)

My husband just loaded up his suitcase with my soaps, lotion bars, and lip balms to give out on a business trip- that's how I justify it :-D :-D
Cheers!
Anna Marie

I think I need to stop ordering after a couple of martinis.
Glares at the Bramleberry box
I could have SWORN I ordered potassium hydroxide, not more sodium hydroxide. And I thought I ordered anise EO, but this is star anise, I don't think I like star anise, least not too much in Asian food. What were my plans for stearic acid? What IS stearic acid?

Latest posts

Back