2nd Salt bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugar_soap

Reaction score
Soo.....2nd attempt at a salt bar.

Ready up on the best way to use beetroot and charcoal powser, worked out a recipe, kept a close watch on trace, tried a swirl and worked out fine. Then waited too long before unmolding (around 5 hrs) and the soap just crumbled:eh: Gonna aim for third time lucky I guess

Anyways uploaded some pics

Moroccan Dreams Salt bar 1.jpg

Moroccan Dreams Salt bar 2.jpg

Moroccan Dreams Salt bar 3.jpg

They look great. Where are the crumbles I really do not see any in these bar other than a tiny amount on the edges which is fairly normal for salt bars. If you poured these in individual cavity silicone mold but them in the freezer before unmolding, this will give you very smooth edged salt bars. If you make your salt bars in individual molds it makes no difference how long you leave them in the mold, in fact the longer the better. I pour mine in a log mold and they alway are a little chippy on the bottom edge using 100% salt

@cmzaha

Problem was when I tried to cut the soap - it had already set too hard so it just cracked and crumbled apart. I also had some in individual molds and they came out nobbad - unmolded them yesterday:)

After how do you cut the ones in the log mold then?

@cmzaha

Problem was when I tried to cut the soap - it had already set too hard so it just cracked and crumbled apart. I also had some in individual molds and they came out nobbad - unmolded them yesterday:)

After how do you cut the ones in the log mold then?
You cannot cut them if they have been in the mold to long. I do not leave my over 1.5 hrs using 90-100% salt. It is a learning process to know when to cut a salt bar, but normally they will still be quite warm when they are ready to cut. There is such a fine line between to soft and warm and ready. That is why individual silicone mold are much better for salt bars

When I cut my salt loafs, its always quite soft. Much to soft to pick up and arrange for a photo shoot. Individual molds really are the best way to go.

Latest posts

Back