2 Good Reasons to stop using palm oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't know who resurrected this thread, but it was started in 2010 by someone who has not visited since 2010.

So weird, I didn't notice that when I commented, and it looks like I might have been the resurrecting post. I sure didn't intend go that far back in the archive. I'm happy to remove my comments if it needs to die its natural death.

No, your comments are fine. I was just checking out the person who started the thread. They were not really that active and were here and gone in a few months. That is always something of a red flag to me.

Well since it is resurrected.....Did you know that manufacturers may claim to be using sustainable palm oil because they are members of, or supplied by members of, the RSPO. However, this in itself is no guarantee as members only need commit to working towards producing a sustainable product.

The can become members by "promising" to work toward becoming sustainable in the next five years. This alone allows them membership.

Right now the certification is so iffy that there is no way - other than going and visiting the plant yourself - to know if they are truly sustainable. They are working on it and are making strides but currently - not there yet.

Well since it is resurrected.....Did you know that manufacturers may claim to be using sustainable palm oil because they are members of, or supplied by members of, the RSPO. However, this in itself is no guarantee as members only need commit to working towards producing a sustainable product.

The can become members by "promising" to work toward becoming sustainable in the next five years. This alone allows them membership.

Right now the certification is so iffy that there is no way - other than going and visiting the plant yourself - to know if they are truly sustainable. They are working on it and are making strides but currently - not there yet.
That tidbit put me right on the fence. :sad: It sucks that you really can't trust too many companies, especially since almost everything boils down to $$$.

It is a hard call. Honestly I don't think its feasible to have everything palm free - the industry is just too big and it would hurt the people and economy of the areas we talk about saving. It is a big mess right now and yes it is getting better and they are trying.
For me I chose not to use it because there are viable alternatives but I want to use it, it's a really good and cheap ingredient. I just don't have the time right now to do the research on the companies I would have to to be comfortable with it right now. However I would never fault anyone for using palm, like I said it is getting better, and hopefully soon they will get all their ducks in a row so to speak.

True but where I live no one will buy anything with animal bi-products (besides milk and honey assuming they are not vegan), and soy is now also an issue. I find that if I want to sell anything of course I have to pander to my area. Sustainable palm seems to be ok here but for many years I didn’t use it and used hydro soy instead as a filler so I dont have to charge $12 a bar. We are all sort of between a rock and a hard place.

One good reason to use Palm is that it's on Sale at WSP next Mon.

Oh I love a good sale but even that can't erase what I know. I wish it could. I'm hoping that in another few years they will have better regulation control over "sustainable" so I can participate in sales!! Love a great sale though.

palm is a very common cooking oil over here. almost every household use palm in their day to day cooking. there are so many brands, big selection to choose from. i don't think i can soap without it. i can only hope those big brands i'm using are not endangering the orangutan population, as they provide no info about it on their packaging.

WSP is sustianable and PLANTATION farmed palm.

Thus: Does not harm the monkies.

The planations are inspected and such, its all a bit much for me to type out but for my vegan and earth minded friends at the two places I give my soap to, its very much acceptable to them.

The info is found with some digging on the WSP website.

Latest posts

Back