2 Good Reasons to stop using palm oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ad213812

Reaction score
Edited for content

Rainforests cover 60 per cent of Indonesia, but orangutans - which means man of the forest - have seen their habitat cut down at an alarming rate, often to fuel the need for space to grow palm oil crops.

Many adult orangutans are killed by farmers in Indonesia and Borneo to prevent them eating crops as their natural food disappears, leaving helpless orphans to die in the wild.

Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-food-rainforest-destroyed.html#ixzz178dSbQSc

Anyone who thinks that destroying the forests to create palm oil plantations is acceptable is out of their minds. Before anyone says anything about the other products that palm oil is in, I know and I am doing my best to reduce the palm oil that I consume, hence why I am learning how to make my own soap.

Palm oil is not essential, there are alternatives, and while it may change the properties of the soap, I would rather my soap had less lather than be party to the decimation of the planet and the unbelievable cruelty to the animals whose natural habitat is being wiped out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tragic, but sustainable palm is widely available.

Just ask your supplier if their sources participate in the RSPO (roundtable for sustainable palm oil).

edited for spelling...

I watched a documentary about the forests being destroyed to grow palms for there oil. It was really sad and it made me take more notice of the products I use and find out which ones do have (or might have) palm oil in them.

I hope there are enough people gaining education about the plight of the rainforest and the damage the demand for palm oil is causing, for things to change ... quickly!

Hello,
I've heard of the organisation that you mentioned but haven't done any real research in to who they are and if the palm oil that they claim is sustainable really is. It is something that I will look in to though so thank you for reminding me about it.

I guess the reason that I posted this here is because communities like this one have quite a lot of clout. Members can ask suppliers about sustainable products and if they do not stock them they ask why not, go somewhere else, ask them to get some in stock, etc. Money talks

It is also a good platform to discuss the issue and find solutions and actions that individuals can take that make a difference. The actions that each of us take as individuals do make a difference and don't ever let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

Though I should have perhaps posted in the chat forum. :oops:

it is tragic and i agree, ensure your palm oil is sourced sustainably. it is admirable that you are examining the many things in life that contribute to the decimation of the planet. since you're along this way of thinking already, would encourage you to look at things outside of the soaping arena that cause even more substantial damage to our world. in no way is this meant as a personal attack or judgment (and i really do think it's great that people are shedding the light on the problems with palm oil). i just hope that this way of thinking is a gateway to more people realizing that animals are to be respected in all forms, from domesticated dogs and cats to orangutans and other primates, whales, dolphins, cows, chickens, and everything else we deem consumable. for just a few facts, check out:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Toxic/factoryfarm.cfm

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/cam ... y_farming/

don't just know more about the ingredients in your soap, learn more about everything else you consume as well, especially food!

Not using Palm

Well, after all is said and done I can see your point if countries are clearing parts of the rain forest which eventually will impact wildlife.

I got curious and looked up the properties of Palm and found that Shea Butter has almost the same numbers as Palm. Actually plain ordinary old Lard has numbers close to Palm, as well as CO. I have in the past used Lard to make a lot of my “home-made” soap getting that from my mother who was a farm girl…but, got sophisticated and included Palm along with a lot of other oils in my soaps. Might rethink the Palm… :wink:
Jerry S

Very sad, but the round table have had a handle on it for years.. It's the 'poaching' in general that's the problem - there's still lots of that everywhere.

Should we Boycott Palm Oil by Amanda Foxon-Hill - Oct 27, 2010

http://www.specialchem4cosmetics.com/se ... =100060067

The topic of conversation around many a cosmetic manufacturer's water cooler is the issue of Palm Oil. The once green and natural solution for chemists wanting to avoid petroleum derived ingredients is starting to look a little less shiny. Rain forests are shrinking, diversity is being threatened and more of us are starting to question the wisdom of the green revolution. So what is the issue and what does the ethical chemist do next?

Palm oil originates from the seeds of the Elaesis Guineensis (oil palm) tree, a crop that is native to West Africa but has since been cultivated across much of South East Asia and South America. The global growth in palm oil farming is no coincidence as the crop is hardy, fast growing and offers a high yield of nutritionally rich oil.

The first press of the palm yields oil that is deep red in colour due to the high concentration of carotene, lycopene and vitamins. This is used across Asia and Africa for cooking where it provides the surrounding regions with their main source of calories. Little of this crude oil is sold outside of these markets as the deep colour is hard to work around and so it goes on for further processing.

"Share your Ideas and Comments about Palm Oil with your Peers in our Opinion Space!
Should We Boycott Palm Oil?"

The secondary refined process includes splitting out the vitamin E (tocopherol) which is sold separately and then fractionating (or splitting) the oily part into its many different fatty acids and Stearin - a natural triglyceride ester that is used in the manufacture of soap or further processed into the common cosmetic ingredient, glycerine. One of the reasons that palm oil has become such a main-stay of the 'natural' chemical industry is the fact that it provides such a wealth of ingredients withinasingle oil. So, in addition to palm oil the plant also provides starting materials for many other cosmetic basics including:

(*follow link for accurate chart)
Fatty Acids Common chemical "children"
Palmitic Acid Retinyl Palmitate Isopropyl Palmitate Ethylhexyl Palmitate
Stearic Acid Sodium Stearate Glyceryl Stearate / distearate Cetostearyl Alcohol/ Cetearyl Alcohol
Myristic Acid Isopropyl Myristate Myristyl Alcohol Sodium Myristate
Linoleic Acid Gamma-linolenic acid - -
Glycerine > Polyglyceryl Esters > Caprylic Capric Triglyceride > Caprylyl Glycol

Looking at the above list really highlights the complexity of the 'let's boycott palm' issue and while it is true that not all of the above come from palm all of the time it is becoming more that way as brands move away from Petroleum derived chemicals in favour of 'green chemistry'. Today, the majority of the above materials are sourced from two main feed stocks, petroleum or plant. Of the plant derived the most common (but not the only) feedstock is Palm and chemically speaking, that is quite a smart move.

An estimated 150 million tonnes of Palm is produced each year and this figure is growing due to increased global demand for consumer goods and 'greener' technologies. Of that 150 million tonnes around 30 million goes on to make surfactants for a wide range of industries (that 30 million tonnes represents one quarter of the total feedstock used by the surfactants industry. Another quarter comes from other vegetable sources and half is petroleum derived). That ratio that is likely to tip further towards the green corner if the 'natural is better' market segment, keeps growing.

With the cosmetics industry likely to move further into the green corner we are faced with a few big issues of which the main one is sustainability. To find out how sustainable palm oil is we need to evaluate its efficiency as a cash crop. Time to review the oil return per hectare planted, natural limits to growth, education and land management.

Palm is not the only crop used in the chemical industry. In fact, the largest contributor to the oil pile is soyabean oil and the USA currently heads up the top producer chart (followed by Brazil and Argentina). Next is Palm and then we having Canola oil followed by Sunflower. Of all of these oils Palm with an average yield of 4 metric tonnes of oil per hectare is by far the best performer when it comes to yield and diversity of oil chemistry (by comparison, Soy gives an average yield of 1.4MT per hectare and canola between 1.5 - 2MT per hectare).

You could be forgiven for thinking that we have learned nothing about managing natural resources over the last fourty years. One look through the Club of Rome 1972 book, Limits to Growth, spells out the hard facts:

Growing population + One planet + Finite resources + Improved lifestyle = Crunch time.

The palm oil issue is a great example of how we can only have our cake and eat it if we are willing to accept the consequences. The palm oil issue has given formulators and brand owners the chance to feel the effects of land - change on a grand scale. Both the Indonesian and Malaysian governments have laws in place to insure that virgin forest is protected and not sacrificed for farming and this is comforting. However, these laws have proved difficult to enforce due to logistical and legal hurdles spanning different countries, cultures and motives. If palm oil is to become truly sustainable it will require a global solution - something that the round table on Palm oil sustainability is striving for.

So how can we help to turn the palm oil problem into a green solution? The concern surrounding the growth in palm oil plantations has not fallen on deaf ears and many of the biggest oil users including Unilever, NestleHaribo and Europastry have joined the Malaysian Government by establishing the round table for sustainable palm oil plantations. With over 400 members spanning all industry segments and geographies it looks likely that a global solution will be achieved.

The round table has been certifying 'sustainable' palm oil for a while now but prices remain high and traceability difficult. Palm crops are consolidated at wholesale merchants making it hard to separate out one farmers crop from another. However, as the demand for documentation grows so does the understanding of the marketplace and little by little, step by step progress is being made. It may take several years before many of the bi-products from palm oil distillation can be certified in marketable quantities with any confidence.

Many brands are opting out of palm as a feedstock and making marketing claims about being 'palm free'. While this action may make the companies involved and the public feel good the environmental reality is less positive. The coconut, a common palm replacement yields only half the oil of palm meaning that we will need double the land in the long run!

On a personal level we can all help to heighten the awareness of the benefits of using this oil over many other vegetable oils due to its higher yield and flexibility. We can also help by supporting the actions of the round table by paying that little bit extra at the counter for certified oil. However, it is with our formulating and our own consumption where we can have the greatest impact. Palm is a great case study in limits to growth and as such it provides us with the perfect opportunity to reflect on the efficiency of our formulations and the necessity of the products that we make.

Unless we start to place more value on our natural resources, the palm oil issue is likely to repeat time and time again as the world population continues to rise along with life style aspirations. We should be prepared not only to buy smart but to formulate smart, sell smart and think smart. Using less stuff may be the answer....

So, as we put on the lab coat and get ready to stir another pot of hope in a bottle let's take a moment to reflect on the big issue, evaluate our formulation objectives and take a stand against all of those people who want us to boycott palm in favour of something more ambiguous and less emotive.

A very interesting article and I agree with what the Round Table is trying to achieve, but I think to say that the Round Table have had a handle on it for years is a bit of a stretch as they can't seem to control their own members.
http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/media/...nce-and-rspo-greenwash-case-studies-sinar-mas
http://www.rspo.org/?q=page/1518
http://www.350resources.org.uk/2010...sian-palm-oil-firms-broken-rainforest-pledge/
and what exactly happens to members who don't comply with the rules? Are they fined? Many multi-billion dollar companies don't give a **** about fines. Are they kicked out of the organisation? What powers do they actually have?

At least soap manufacturers actually tell you that they are using palm oil so as a consumer you have a choice, but the problem is far more widespread than just palm oil going in to cosmetics and grooming products. Many food producers also use palm oil in the production of their goods, except in the ingredients it is listed as vegetable oil, so the consumer really doesn't know what they are buying.
http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-devastation-of-the-rain-forests-1676218.html

I'm all for sustainability and for individual choice, if you want to use palm oil that is fine, it's your choice, but at the minute I genuinely don't believe that we the consumers are really being given a choice. So because of that I occasionally speak up and say what's on my mind, and hopefully you will speak up and say what's on yours. :wink:

I am very sympathetic to the plight of the orangutans, whales, sharks, and other poor animals that are often massacred by uneducated poor or the greedy looking for corporate profit. I too considered ditching palm oil, but I chose to go with sustainable palm from soaper's choice. Maybe I am wrong, but isn't it worth trying to support the sustainable producers? While it may be slightly more expensive, if we do not support the ones trying to do the right thing, they may decide that it is no longer financially viable and revert to the turn n' burn methods they are trying to oppose.

Decisions, decisions. Very little that human beings do has a positive impact on the environment. Substituting lard or tallow for PO then makes me think about how most pigs and cows are raised in this country - crowded feed lots make me feel as badly for the livestock as for the poor orangutans.

I try to use organic, sustainable, and/or local as much as possible and hope for the best. And arguably, hand crafted soap based on renewable oils is more sustainable than detergent-based "soaps" based on petroleum products which are finite.

judymoody said:
Decisions, decisions. Very little that human beings do has a positive impact on the environment. Substituting lard or tallow for PO then makes me think about how most pigs and cows are raised in this country - crowded feed lots make me feel as badly for the livestock as for the poor orangutans.

Well said, people get upset out about orangutans but inexcusable treatment of cows, pigs and chickens is socially acceptable.

Tabitha said:
judymoody said:

Well said, people get upset out about orangutans but inexcusable treatment of cows, pigs and chickens is socially acceptable.

Agree. I feel totally comfortable using organic, Rount Table certified sustainable palm, either Soaper's Choice or Spectrum. If we don't support the effort, it will collapse and we will be taking steps backward.

I think most soapers are pretty aware of the circumstances with palm oil & orangutans.
Its probably the averaage person that walks to the local shops & buys hot fried chips that isn't.
Agreed.... nobody seems to worry where all that lard comes from & the slaughter of all those animals.

The palm that has the fruit that makes palm oil actually originated in Africa. You can buy African palm oil that is guaranteed not to have destroyed rainforest or harmed any Orang Utans. My only problem with that is, that I cannot seem to be able to get refined palm from there. I make sure that all my orange soaps are coloured by using African Palm Oil, preferably from Ghana, but some of it may be from Nigeria (depending on what the shop has in stock). As soon as I can find refined African Palm I will switch completely.

A lot of "sustainable" palm oil comes from South America. It doesn't harm Orangs, but it does destroy rain forests and displaces tribes and people and can also harm other wild life, like the Ozelot.

I get my Palm from Brambleberry, they only offer sustainable palm just FYI if any one needs a resource

Cows and pigs aren't endangered species. It's not the "awww, cute" factor, but the "gosh, we're all out" factor, when it comes to habitat preservation and species protection.

Well I guess I had better wander out to the pasture and tell our cows, pigs and chickens that they are being mistreated. Do you think they will go on strike?:D Seriously though, these kinds of photos show up periodically. Make sure the organization behind the literature is legit. There have been many incidences of staged photos and videos to gain public support for an organization. I use sustainable palm, but I also take the reports on the Internet with a grain of salt and check who is responsible for the articles. I am not disputing the fact that rain forests are being destroyed and some treat animals with cruelty. As I said, I use sustainable palm. I am not going to stop using lard and tallow just because some big agribusinesses may mistreat animals. For the most part, I use lard and tallow rendered from our own animals. I don't know who resurrected this thread, but it was started in 2010 by someone who has not visited since 2010.

Latest posts

Back