1st time using TKB micas!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaSoaper

Reaction score
I attempted my very first swirl using my new micas last night. TKB was out of the pop micas as a set, so I ordered a couple of the pop micas separately along with some TD and a black mica (no sparkle). Ok, so I couldn't get the grape pop mica, so I substituted an amethyst mica from TKB. I used the amethyst and the black mica to try to do a swirl. I didn't color base oils first. (In retrospect I probably should have!) I had a lot of fun with it...but soap started setting up too fast because I think I mixed too much. (I was worried not to be at light trace when I started...and since it was first swirl, I was kinda slow...) Anyways, I pre-dispersed the micas in a little bit of jojoba since I didn't have glycerin and then adding my base to each bowl and mixed with a spoon. I only made 2lbs of soap in the green WSP molds...but it turned out pretty good! Not quite the swirl I was looking for, but good!

I also put the cp soap in a cooler to force gel? How much does this change the coloring, if at all?

After I unmolded today, I noticed quite a bit of black swirl, but didn't see any amethyst, but I did get a lot of this peachy pink kind of color? Did the amethyst morph? Has anyone else had a problem with tkb micas morph, not the pops, but any of the others?

Ok, sorry this is sooo long! Seriously love the micas though! Beats the heck out of the herbal colorants I was using!! Can't wait to try again with just the amethyst to see if it really is morphing! I would post pics...but I'm soo bad at pics and not quite sure how to do it....maybe I will try though...

when you gel the colors get darker. I love dark colors
I do not like the pop colors in glycerine, you have to stir way to much to incorporate color - in my opinion.
keep trying your get it :)

Thanks! I was wondering how it would be to mix in glycerin...as I've never handled it before. Yah, I see a LOT more experimenting in my future... :)

Come to think of it...I've had that peachy orangey pink color happen to me before when I gelled in the oven...but I wasn't using an fo then, but lemongrass eo...strange. Maybe if I color the base with TD that peachy color will go away. I will need to make the same recipe both ways, one with the TD base, and one with the amethyst isolated going through gel...that way I can see if it's the amethyst mica that morphed. I've heard that the strawberry pop mica morphs to an orangey color...

I have a bunch of TKB non-pop micas, including the amethyst. It may be that your concentration of the amethyst wasn't high enough to keep the color true. Some of them will look quite different if you don't use enough and some of the dark micas (midnight train, for instance) will only look black unless you use a TON and then that much can make the texture of the soap odd. Their oranges, pumpkins and red are great but can require decent to hefty portions to get that nice strong color.

For purples, I have amethyst, love song, grape pop, and pure purple and love them all.

Also, I have found that many of the micas will suspend in water, which is great when you're using just a little for a swirl- that way, that portion doesn't end up really superfatted. A few of them do require oil and then I use just a touch of OO. If I've added a touch of water and find it won't suspend, I then add a little bit of OO to it and stir. It has both the water and the oil in it, but it blends in fine with the soap batter.

I blend my micas, even the pop ones, in a little bit of my warm oils. I stir, stir, stir, and then, I add the mica/oil to the just emulsified lye and oil mixture. Seems to work well every time. However, I only make small 2 lb. batches at a time. I pour off a little bit of my oils for the mica mixture so I am not using extra oils not included in my "recipe."

I do the same as reallyrita. I use a coffee frother to mix the mica and oil which seems to do a thorough job.

Love the pop mics, though my raspberry always comes out peach.

Back