100% sweet almond soap turns orange

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
Not really a problem shooting, since it's not really a problem for me, but an observation and wonder if you guys have same thing happened to you.
I always wanted to try a 100% s. almond soap so I did just that last night. 500g sweet almond oil, frozen milk as lye, SL and syrup, oatmeal powder, soaped at room temp.
The milk lye was an almost neon yellow color when I poured so I wasn't surprised when the batter turned a creamy yellow. However, as I kept blending, the color kept getting darker. It took a long time with constant burst to reach barely light trace and the color was a persimmon orange then.
1.jpg

It was unexpected but I figured the color will fade anyway so just dumped it into the mold. I did use a fo (Oatmeal milk honey from BG) but it was added after this (you can see it in the up right corner) and only at 2%.
Woke up this morning and decided to check the color again. Unsurprisingly it faded to a beige color.
2.jpg
3.jpg

↑Soap in my pipe mold and leftover in my soaping bucket. The soap still has some orange-ish tint.

I use s.almond oil in most of my recipes and have been wondering why most of them had a yellow tinge to it lately. It usually fades away after a week or two so I wasn't too bothered. I used to have a batch of CO that will turn my soap batter pink and orange so I figured it's just that. Interesting to know s.almond could be a culprit as well.
If anyone's interested, I will report back on the color once it's out of the mold, cut, and cured.

Have you been using milk or syrup in your other yellowy batches?
It looks like the sugars in your recipe scorched. I've had the same thing happen when too much sugar gets too hot, the orange always faded.

Have you been using milk or syrup in your other yellowy batches?
It looks like the sugars in your recipe scorched. I've had the same thing happen when too much sugar gets too hot, the orange always faded.
My other yellowed batches were just plain water ones. I don't use milk often in soaps since they need more caution. All my soaps has syrup in them, some more than the others. I did used twice my usual amount here since I want it to gel on its own. But such a deep color is still rather intriguing.

I agree with Obisidian, it's the milk and higher sugar. Sugars scorching is what causes it to turn orange. I use milk in most all my recipes and do 50/50. Dissolve my lye in water, add milk fortified with powdered milk to my oils. When I add my cooled lye it gets just a touch of peach color to it. I don't add any additional sugars though. If I did I'm sure it would get more orange.

Latest posts

Back