100% Lard Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikindred

Reaction score
I am thinking of experimenting with a 100% lard batch and wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions. Not sure of what to expect or what to % to superfat. Should I add castor for lather?

I love lard soaps. The lather is generous but on the dense side, so the addition some castor might provide some benefit.

I generally superfat my 100% lard at 8%, but I'm an old lady and superfat all my soaps on the high side.

Be warned, lard can take FOREVER to trace, and I can almost guarantee that you will want to pour it into the mold when you think it's traced, only to see it separate again. So be super sure (unless you want to learn how to stick blend in the mold LOL). Actually if it does separate in the mold you can usually pour it back into the bowl, wipe out your mold, mix to true trace, and pour it back in - it's not the end of the world unless you have the prettiest swirl ever.

I normally superfat at 8% as well...just started that way and never changed. I normally soap at room temperature so I wonder if that will help with trace a little. I think I am going to experiment and see what happens...perhaps a smaller batch then my normal one. I have added lard before but not 100%, I normally use about 20 or 30 percent. Wonder what will happen if I add the castor and up the superfat.

OMG! I thought it said 100% LIZARD soap when I glanced this way.

Tabitha said:
OMG! I thought it said 100% LIZARD soap when I glanced this way.
I think it would take an awful lot of Lizard to get enough fat to soap!

I actually just did a 100% lard soap a few weeks ago. I SF at 7%, but didnt add any castor or anything like that... It did take a loooooong time to trace, but it is gorgeous! Just be warned, I left mine in the mold over a 3 day weekend, thinking that it would act like 100% OO soap and need extra time, but by the time I got to cutting it, it was pretty cumbly. :( Oh well. It's still really nice to use, just a little on the ugly side from all of the crumbling.

(Edited to fix my smiley face!)

Back