1 lb mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few different options for a 1 lb mold. One is a slab mold from BB, not one of my favorites as I don't like the size of the resulting bars. I made a divider for my regular wood loaf mold that fits in tight, works really well but I also made a tall skinny wooden 1lb mold. I really like the tall skinny mold but its a pain to line.
I plan on remaking the tall skinny and maybe making it collapsible so I can line it permanently with mylar. A pringles can also works really well.

I have a few different options for a 1 lb mold. One is a slab mold from BB, not one of my favorites as I don't like the size of the resulting bars. I made a divider for my regular wood loaf mold that fits in tight, works really well but I also made a tall skinny wooden 1lb mold. I really like the tall skinny mold but its a pain to line.
I plan on remaking the tall skinny and maybe making it collapsible so I can line it permanently with mylar. A pringles can also works really well.

Ok, thanks everyone. I was thinking about making a divider for my 3 lb loaf mold as I like the dimensions my bars come out.

Obsidian, funny you should mention the Pringles Can option. I just poured a Pringles Can soap. I had 2 round loofah scrubs I put at the bottom of the Can. Then filled the Can up. Plumeria scent. I hope it turns out.:smile:

It makes about 6 1 1/4" round bars.

My divider was really simple, I cut a piece of 3/4" lumber to fit snuggly in my mold so I don't need any hardware. I shove it in the mold and position it where I marked the inside of the mold for a 1 lb batch.

My divider was really simple, I cut a piece of 3/4" lumber to fit snuggly in my mold so I don't need any hardware. I shove it in the mold and position it where I marked the inside of the mold for a 1 lb batch.

Obsidian, how did you know exactly where to place your divider??

Staples has/had a line of boxes called Really Useful Boxes, and I got this small one years ago. Don't know if they still carry them. Here with my coffee cup for scale.

R.U.B..jpg

Staples has/had a line of boxes called Really Useful Boxes, and I got this small one years ago. Don't know if they still carry them. Here with my coffee cup for scale.

Office Depot carries these. I use them to store my lip balms, solid perfumes and roll-on perfumes. I think they are 3.49 or so each.

I have the above mold for test batches and like the size but it is hard to remove the soap. I always have to put it is the freezer before removing or let it sit in the mold for a few days.

It is difficult, and it's a shame because the size is perfect, and it has a cover! I put mine in the freezer, too.

Bb 10"

I've been using a BB 10" mold. It's designed to be a log mold but I've been making 1 pound test batches and just pouring a layer in the bottom. Then I cut 3-4 bars out like a slab type mold. It's been working great for me and I already had it.

I have been meaning to buy a one pound mold, if I am testing fragrance I either use a pint or quart milk carton. Sometimes I just pour into my half sphere silicone mold. I can get about four bars. I was looking at the one pound from Brambleberry, and thought it might stick. I put the half sphere mold in a warm oven with the heat off, and they easily come out.

1 lb molds

Happy New Year Everyone.

What does everyone use for a 1 lb mold?? TIA
Kathie
I have one of the Crafters Choice 1 lb silicone molds, which works great. Also, I just made another one of that size using coroplastic. I purchased a large sheet of it at Lowe's hardware for $10.20 and made the small square mold, a tally skinny mold and a short skinny mold which I'll use for guest soaps. I also used the coroplastic to make dividers for some of my molds.
There are videos on you tube showing how to use this coroplastic to make these molds. The best part is you can make the sizes you want, tape it together to use, then untape when you unmold and then store the molds flat. You don't have to line this material either.

I ran into one glitch when I cut a bit more through than I should have, but I can tape the open area and it should still be fine to use.

I haven't tested them yet - still waiting on 4 orders of colorants and other soaping raw materials to arrive.

Back