MMS FO usage rates

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking at Majestic Mountain Sage's website, and they say their fragrances are very concentrated:
"Please note that our fragrances are tested at 0.25 to 0.35 ounces per lb of fats for cold process soap. Do not use 1 oz per lb of fats, you don't need to use this excessive rate recommended by other vendors when using MMS fragrance oils."

Do you find this to be true, and at what rate do you typically use their FOs? I've mostly been using Nurture FOs at 1 oz PPO.

Mixed. I think you need to test to see what level you like. I suspect the statement about their concentration was probably truer years ago before so many reformulations to meet IFRA amounts. I don't use them as often as in the past because of price and high shipping costs. I like their heavy florals (honeysuckle, jasmine) and definitely soap them at .4-.5 oz ppo. Too much and they are not nearly as nice. I like the White sage and it needs to be soaped light. I use the Tassi Lavender because I like it but I don't think of it as concentrated. I like the Gladiator but wish it was a stronger scent. I usually purchase sweet scents elsewhere because I like stronger scents than the MMS ones I have tested. Fading is my biggest complaint in general about fragrances. I think MMS scents don't have much problem with fading; the light ones still stick.

I've used a few MMS fragrances. I think they're decent fragrances, but I haven't found them to perform much differently compared with similar fragrances from other reputable fragrance suppliers.

For example, I've compared Green Tea FOs from MMS and from Nature's Garden. The two FOs are roughly similar to my nose, but IMO they're reasonably comparable as far as scent strength, longevity in cured soap, etc. I wouldn't say one is head-and-shoulders better than the other.

I think you have to test them to see what dosage works best for your nose. For example, I happen to use the same % of the two green tea FOs, but I wouldn't assume that would be true for two FOs of a different fragrance family, rose FOs for example.

@lucycat and @DeeAnna Thank you both, your input is super helpful. Their prices seemed quite high unless usage rates are effectively as low as they claim. I do like stronger fragrances that stick, but I'm generally not a floral fan.

I've mostly been ordering from Nurture and Brambleberry but am exploring other options for the new year. I've heard many recommendations for Midwest's price and quality, and I'm getting ready to place an order with them. 🤞

Also, consider testing Fragrance Buddy. They are mixed for me in performance, but they have some winners. Their Lavender and Spring Apricot (more fruit than lavender) has been my best-selling soap for the last two years. I haven't used Midwest Fragrance but like you have considered testing some of their scents.

Latest posts

Back