Edible oil in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use edible oil in soap? I have a ton of Lorrain flavored oil for candy making. I'm seriously thinking about trying it.

x

you'll have to figure out the sap value inorder to set your lye. what kinda of oil is it? if it is a mixture, maybe you can use it to super-fat your soap at trace?

The actual brand name is LorAnn Oils. They are flavor oils. If I use them I am going to put them in at trace I think. When I make candy they are super strong smelling. They are concentrated oils.

That sounds like a cool experiment Dixie , let us know how it turns out if you decide to try it. :D

Kitn

Ok, I'll let ya know. I really don't see why it wouldn't work. We put all kinds of food stuff in soap including sugars and syrups, sooo ;)

you don't need to worry about the SAP any more than you would for FOs or EOs. they are not soaping oils, but rather closer to fragrance materials.

But be aware that many flavor "oils" are alcohol based and may cause your soap to seize.

Thanks for the warning carebear. I did think about it being sugar and getting hotter. I looked on the box, bottle and the web site and can't find a list of ingredients :?

Anyway, as strong as this stuff is I think if I do an hp batch I won't have to use as much.

Some of the LoAnn's are oil based while some are water based, & some alcohol based, even though they are all labeled as flavor OILS. You would need to know which ones you had.

if you are HPing it I'd say go ahead and take the chance. don't CP them, though.

I tried one of their flavor oils once. Since they are diluted, the scent didn't last very long. The only exception are the mint oils. Those worked well in my tooth soap.

Latest posts

Back