Colorant question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
I see so many soaps with vibrant colors but my colors usually turn out looking like pastels because I'm never sure how much is too much. Is there a general rule to use when mixing colors like 1/4 teaspoon of mica per pound of soaping oils or something?

I use paper dixie cups to divide my batter. I put about 1/2 tsp of mica in each dixie cup, mix in 2-3 tsp of oil (from my melted oils) then mix it up good. Then pour my batter into each cup about 3/4 the way up. This results in very vibrant colours for me! Sorry I don't have better measurements for you.

As a general rule, you can use up to 1-2tsp mica ppo.

I feel like the general rule is max 1 tsp PPO. Assuming you are using powdered colors, mix them thoroughly with a bit of oil, water or glycerin (depends on the colorant). I've been very happy with glycerin, personally. I've never mixed charcoal with it, I think you need to use water with charcoal. If you are using TD read the manufacturer's instructions - some are water soluble, some oil, some both.

Gelling makes colors more vibrant.
Where are you buying your colors?

I feel like the general rule is max 1 tsp PPO. Assuming you are using powdered colors, mix them thoroughly with a bit of oil, water or glycerin (depends on the colorant). I've been very happy with glycerin, personally. I've never mixed charcoal with it, I think you need to use water with charcoal. If you are using TD read the manufacturer's instructions - some are water soluble, some oil, some both.

I mix my charcoal with oil, and it mixes fine. I personally don't like mixing in glycerin, for a couple reasons, but one is for me, it's hard to pour into the soap pot because it's so thick and a lot ends up stuck in the cup. (that's been my limited experience with mixing micas/colorants with glycerin)

It depends on the colorant you are using as well as the base oils. For micas, it's 1 tsp ppo, but for pigments it's 1/8 tsp - 1/4 tsp ppo. Pigments (Ultra Marines and Oxides) are more dense so the amount used to create intense color is less, so if you use it alone or a mica with an UM in the mix, you may not need as much.

And your soap oils also effect the resulting color as well. Darker oils change the color of your colorant, so you may need to adjust how much you use as well as which colors you choose.

When using micas, 1 tsp per pound of base oil is supposed to produce strong color, whereas using 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp produces a more pastel color. But gelling the soap is another method for getting more vibrant colors. To get brighter colors, more mica, complete gel, and to make sure the colors turn out the shade expected very pale oils seems to be the key.

I've got micas & oxides from WSP, TKB & Nuture's. Knowing that I can use up to a teaspoon without having colored suds helps.

I'll have to try that. I tried the pre mixed colors from TKB a few years back & I really enjoyed the convenience of it.

Amy Warden, Great Cakes Soap Works, did a nice video on how to use oxides, ultramarines, micas, and neons. Look on Youtube for "Coloring Cold Process Soap." It's about 19 minutes long. I learned a lot and I think it would help answer your questions too.

Here -- I think this is the video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6-AMQLkEg[/ame]

I use paper dixie cups to divide my batter. I put about 1/2 tsp of mica in each dixie cup, mix in 2-3 tsp of oil (from my melted oils) then mix it up good. Then pour my batter into each cup about 3/4 the way up. This results in very vibrant colours for me! Sorry I don't have better measurements for you.

As a general rule, you can use up to 1-2tsp mica ppo.

Great minds think alike. Because I do the exact same thing! :mrgreen:

Mainly I hate washing containers, so I can disregard the dixie cups.

Usually with micas I just mix the mica in the separated batter and SB quickly. It does not leave specks. Otherwise I mix all colorants including water or oil TD in glycerin in deli cups, so I always have some colorants ready to go. I simply do not like to use my batch oils because I do not always know how much colorant I want to use. I am just not exact on what I want to use when it comes to coloring to use my batch oils.

I actually weigh mine with a micro scale in grams and it's super easy. The best part is I don't have to guess. 1/2 to 1 gram per/lb of oil. Be sure and write down the amount in your notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest factor I found that affects how dull or bright my colors are in the final soap, is whether or not the soap gelled. Controlling the temperature of the soap as it is setting up and saponifying in the mold is the key.

Also, where you get your micas from is another big factor. Nurture Soap has some of the most vivid, vibrant and brightest micas available.

I just made a batch of lavender soap & I used a little of everyone's advice. I used more mica than I usually do, I think that may have been problem #1. I pre mixed my colors with oil from my batch, added a little TD to my pink, then added more purple mica to the batter as needed & I wrapped it up well so it would gel. It'll be hard but I'm not going to peek at it until after work tomorrow. I'll post pics. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

Pics as promised . I'm happy with the purple, not so sure what happened with the white & pink. I used the same amount of mica but in less soap batter, I would think those colors would have more pop. Oh well, I'm sure my coworkers will be happy to receive them as gifts anyway. View attachment 1 IMG_20170930_055221.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_055208.jpg
    IMG_20170930_055208.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 29
Back