Hi from Holland and a Q

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwal

Reaction score
Hello,

I am Zwal, from Holland and working as a consultant. After reading blogs and forums for over 3 months I am confident enough to start with making my first batch of soap. I have bought all the basic equipment I need and a nice wooden mold with a silicon liner.

Since I will not be using any palmoil and go all organic. I am after a soap that I will be using in the shower and washing my hands etc. I have no intention in trying different carrier oils all the time and prefer one standard, balanced formula I can add different essential oils to for different experiences. Like one batch with peppermint and cintronella, one with geranium and rose, and another one with ylang ylang.
Regarding this, I did some research and came up with 3 possible recipes, but could use some advice on which one is more balanced, also regarding shelf life.. I heard for example that sunflower is not the best and could go rancid..

Please feel free to suggest carrier oils that are not listed here. Like stated, I will be using it for showering and washing my hands etc, so really expensive carrier oils will hurt my wallet :p

The recipes:
1. 40% olive, 30% coconut, 15% shea and 15% cacao
2. 30% olive, 30% coconut, 15% shea, 15% cacao and 10% jojoba
3. 30% olive, 30% coconut, 15% shea, 15% cacao and 10% sunflower

Thanks a lot!
Zwal

Last edited:
Hi Zwal I have my own basic recipe here it is

30% olive oil pomace
25 coconut oil
20% Palm oil
10% castor oil
10% sweet almond
5% sweet almond butter

Your recipes all have 30% butters. That is a pretty high percent and you may find that it will inhibit your lather. If however you don't mind a thin lather it will be fine.

Realize of course that you have no hard oils or fats in your recipe besides coconut which at 30% can be rather drying.(edited with the butters it should be fine as far as hardness is concerned sorry,it has been a long day. If you reduce the butters for better lather then you will need harder oils and more curing ) So the next thing I would think about is either countering that by adding a lard or tallow ( you can buy the organic grain fed if you like) or if you are opposed to animal fats perhaps adding a bit more of liquid oil , reducing your coconut to 20% and consider adding up to 5% caster oil to help with lather.

Understand that using more liquid oils will require you to wait longer to unmold and may take a few extra weeks to cure.

Good luck

Last edited:
I agree with lowering the coconut oil down to 20% so it won't be so drying. Adding a bit of lard will really improve the qualities of your soap. I like 40% lard, 30% olive, 20% coconut and 10% some kind of butter.
jojoba really is wasted in soap, save if for lotions or body butters. Sunflower is ok in lower amounts but I don't care for it much in soap either. My main liquid oils are olive & avocado.

If organic is the aim, I would also really look for organic lard or palm - they can make a huge difference.

To ask the direct question - why organic? What is it about organic that makes you want to make organic soap? I ask simply in case you think it will give a result that is then actually much more trouble than it is worth

Of the three you posted, I like the looks of recipe #3 the best. As far as DOS is concerned, I think you should be fine with only 10% sunflower in there since it only bumps up the total linoleic to 13% (many soap makers like to go no higher than 15% on the total linoleic in order to keep DOS at bay).

If you can find some castor oil, I think that reducing the coconut oil to 25% and introducing 5% castor to recipe #3 will make an even more excellent soap......well, at least for the likes of me anyway. :)

IrishLass :)

First of all, thanks for the replies. I understand I have to make some adjustments to my formula.

To answer the q's:
1. I indeed dont want to add any animal fats to my soap.
2. I want organic to add some value to my soap and the world, making it a better place, my 2 cents that is.
3. Regarding palm oil, even the organic ones are mostly build on old rain forests..

I know it does not add any flexibility to my formula, but it does make me feel better :)

New recipes
You guys advice me to reduce the coconut and add castor or avocado. And the jojoba is also not really advised. That brings us to... pls comment :)

1. 25% olive, 20% coconut, 20% cacao, 15% shea, 10% castor and 10% babassu.

2. 30% olive, 20% coconut, 20% cacao, 15% shea, 15% castor.

3. 35% olive, 25% coconut, 25% cacao, 15% castor.

The first one has 6 different oils now, a luxury one, but very complex with 6 different oils. I added babassu for the lauric and myristic acids, the fluffy lather I was missing before.

Number 2 is without babassu, and an increased castor to compensate it.

Number 3 is the most practical one for me :), maybe too practical?

Thanks in advance for the comments

Last edited:
I also like number 3 best on your new list too (there must be something about the number 3). :) Speaking only for myself, I would have no qualms making or using the soap from that recipe. The numbers look very similar on paper to the numbers of some of my own recipes.

IrishLass :)

I personally feel that organic in soap is a little bit wasteful and over-egging it somewhat. The benefits are more about the eating of the food - I don't see that using organic oils in a wash-off product that uses so much lye (factory made lye, by the way) is anything more than just a mental exercise rather than one with any real benefit.

Hi IrishLass, thanks a lot for your comment. When I play with the figures it seems like my soap gets better, for example:

Basic ingredients %
Olive Oil 25%
Cocoa Butter 27%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 28%
Castor Oil 20%

Property Range Value
Hardness 29‐54 43
Cleansing 12‐22 19
Conditioning 44‐69 53
Lather 14‐46 37
Creamy 16‐48 42
Iodine 41‐70 51
INS 136‐165 160

Instead of:

Basic ingredients %
Olive Oil 35%
Cocoa Butter 25%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 25%
Castor Oil 15%

Property Range Value
Hardness 29-54 41
Cleansing 12-22 17
Conditioning44-69 55
Lather 14-46 30
Creamy 16-48 38
Iodine 41-70 54
INS 136-165 155

Does these changes really matter as the figures show, or is the difference in real life not as significant as the calculator states?

@The Efficacious Gentleman

Its not about making the product better, I do believe that using organic oil does not have a major impact on the quality of soap. What I do achieve is helping farmers and companies that grow and produce organic food/oils, most likely on a fair(trade) way. This will make the world a better place. It may not be a lot, but it is what I can contribute, that's what counts for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back