Honest opinions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSwiderski

Reaction score
This is sugar plum fairy scent from bb and I'm not loving the colors. A friend asked me to make cupcakes for a winter party she is doing at work. I was hoping for a more lilac and pink colors. This is only the third soap I have ever used color in. Purple is my enemy lol. Anyways, my question is does this look okay? Or would you redo it? ImageUploadedBySoap Making1414680974.447244.jpg

Number 1 problem is if memory serves me correctly this scent will go brown since it has over 1% vanilla. I have not soaped it in a long time. If you have time watch it for discoloration and soap accordingly. You can seperate out your batter and only fragrance a portion. Another option, many of the purple colorants will show up nicely in brown. I do a fo that turns dark brown and use lavender fields ultra marine from the sage and/or easter puple lab from B&B. Purple will not show up until the soap saponifies since it is ph dependent. If you color your soap batter to look like purple it will be way to much colorant. These two colors will look grayish until ph lowers after saponification is finished. Good luck with your cupcakes, they look fantastic

Honest opinion? If I order these for a winter themed party, I wouldn't be happy with the brownish colors. As a soap maker, I would choose a scent that doesn't discolor. I'd also choose a color I didn't have issues with.

Number 1 problem is if memory serves me correctly this scent will go brown since it has over 1% vanilla. I have not soaped it in a long time. If you have time watch it for discoloration and soap accordingly. You can seperate out your batter and only fragrance a portion. Another option, many of the purple colorants will show up nicely in brown. I do a fo that turns dark brown and use lavender fields ultra marine from the sage and/or easter puple lab from B&B. Purple will not show up until the soap saponifies since it is ph dependent. If you color your soap batter to look like purple it will be way to much colorant. These two colors will look grayish until ph lowers after saponification is finished. Good luck with your cupcakes, they look fantastic

Oh! Thank you. I didn't even check for vanilla content. I will try both of those purples. Do you use TD to lighten the soap or just use the purple? That is good to know about the purple not showing up until saponification is complete. I just made it about 12 hours ago (finished it right before bed) so maybe there is some hope some purple will come through).

Honest opinion? If I order these for a winter themed party, I wouldn't be happy with the brownish colors. As a soap maker, I would choose a scent that doesn't discolor. I'd also choose a color I didn't have issues with.

That is what I figured. I made it last night before bed so I am now thinking it will get darker. I have vanilla stabilizer I just didn't even think to check if SPF had vanilla in it. She is my best friend and I am doing them for free. But I still want them to be nice because I think if people love them they may want more. I think maybe I will try a peppermint or something of that sorts. Thanks!

Yep have to watch the discolor. I normally plan for a discolor, and use those fragrances for a realistic cupcake such as my hot fudge one. For pretty or wild colors I use scents that do not discolor

Your soap obviously had a beautiful trace. I'm guessing you used a piping bag? As for the color, only time will tell for sure. They currently remind me of a cupcake at a local shop here called "pink champagne." What's the "cherry" on top? In the pic it looks like a plastic ball. Is it soap too? Personally I think these are really nice and "cute." That being said, I'm never quite sure how these cupcake soaps are ever going to be used. They aren't very practical to hold in your hand, so my guess is they will sit on somebody's kitchen counter until the fragrance is eventually gone and finally be thrown out. My mom is a new soaper and in sort of a "crafty" stage where she wants to use cookie cutters and such to make "cute" soaps. Nothing wrong with that, and of course, if that's what your customer wants I'd "cupcake" all the way to the bank. Given the chance, however, I'd encourage her to think about a classy bar of good quality soap, colored tastefully with a pleasant scent and a beautiful label and/or wrapping that people will actually use. Just observations, not criticism.

See now I think gold is a perfectly valid holiday color, maybe put them into some silver cupcake liners and be all shiny.

I don't see why people get upset over discoloring. Brown is very nice in soap.

I don't see why people get upset over discoloring. Brown is very nice in soap.
I learned a long time ago to just work with the dark coloring, such as my Black Amber Lavender. The purple swirls in the dark brown are really very pretty. For my DB soap I seperate out some batter leave some uncolored, some I color with red and swirl back into the main batter I know will go dark brown.
Nope I do not add TD to a fo that I know will go a dark color. No matter how well you mix td, unless you run it through a very fine seive it, which is very messy in my opinion to do, will tend to leave td specks in the dark batter. And I find water td, while it mixes easier, is more subject to crackling and glycerin rivers. Again that is just my experience

Your soap obviously had a beautiful trace. I'm guessing you used a piping bag? As for the color, only time will tell for sure. They currently remind me of a cupcake at a local shop here called "pink champagne." What's the "cherry" on top? In the pic it looks like a plastic ball. Is it soap too? Personally I think these are really nice and "cute." That being said, I'm never quite sure how these cupcake soaps are ever going to be used. They aren't very practical to hold in your hand, so my guess is they will sit on somebody's kitchen counter until the fragrance is eventually gone and finally be thrown out. My mom is a new soaper and in sort of a "crafty" stage where she wants to use cookie cutters and such to make "cute" soaps. Nothing wrong with that, and of course, if that's what your customer wants I'd "cupcake" all the way to the bank. Given the chance, however, I'd encourage her to think about a classy bar of good quality soap, colored tastefully with a pleasant scent and a beautiful label and/or wrapping that people will actually use. Just observations, not criticism.

I did use a piping bag. It is a glycerin soap ball :) there party theme is. They larger really well and they don't fall apart. I can post a couple of pictures of the lather etc. once it cures a bit. I couldn't have asked for a better trace. Thanks for the tips. I will approach her with some designs. Maybe I can put Candy/cupcakes on a nice label :) great idea!

I do think they look autumnal but her theme is like a Christmas candy land? So I was hoping for bright purple. I also think the brown turns out lovely but I wish I had prepared for it in this instance.

I learned a long time ago to just work with the dark coloring, such as my Black Amber Lavender. The purple swirls in the dark brown are really very pretty. For my DB soap I seperate out some batter leave some uncolored, some I color with red and swirl back into the main batter I know will go dark brown.
Nope I do not add TD to a fo that I know will go a dark color. No matter how well you mix td, unless you run it through a very fine seive it, which is very messy in my opinion to do, will tend to leave td specks in the dark batter. And I find water td, while it mixes easier, is more subject to crackling and glycerin rivers. Again that is just my experience

Thanks for the help :) I did notice the TD was very lumpy so I didn't add it. I just didn't know if it may help.

Hey Daryl,

I can tell you exactly how they use them as I sell a lot of them. You cut them in half and they fit in the paml of your hand perfectly. However, they do decorate some bathrooms (my mother's).:D

I just soaped that exact fragrance. I used it last year too. It doesn't go too dark. You can easily get a cream color with td.

1414694554311.jpg

What about something like this? You still get the cute cupcake but in a easier to use form.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QlMcM7YVFc[/ame]

I did use a piping bag. It is a glycerin soap ball :) there party theme is. They larger really well and they don't fall apart. I can post a couple of pictures of the lather etc. once it cures a bit. I couldn't have asked for a better trace. Thanks for the tips. I will approach her with some designs. Maybe I can put Candy/cupcakes on a nice label :) great idea!

Or a cupcake soap stamp. I have an easy technique for making stamps using, amazingly, a bar of soap for the mold.

See now I think gold is a perfectly valid holiday color, maybe put them into some silver cupcake liners and be all shiny.

Now that you mention it, there's a Christmas song that goes, "Silver and gold, silver and gold....."

I think the artistry side of the soap is great. More contrast in the colors might not be a bad thing, but to me color always seems to be more of a subjective thing.

Latest posts

Back