Fullers in shaving soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
I would like to make a shaving soap tomorrow and all I have is fuller's earth clay. Can I substitute this for the bentonite clay that the recipe I have calls for? Now to ask the same in the bath bombs section because I don't have any kaolin :/

I've found glycerin makes a much better, slicker lather then using clay. I'll never use clay in shaving soap again.

Many serious wet shavers call clay mud and won't use products that contain it. Probably not important if you are making soap for yourself but if you ever intend to sell its something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
LOL @ Craig - you so don't like clay... mud ROFLOL

:) true, not the biggest fan. Doesn't help when people are adding earth in to it - check for worms, first! ;)

But seriously, I mentioned it because it is possible to go for the gly if you have no clays or earthy things on hand but want to make a shaving soap

I've found glycerin makes a much better, slicker lather then using clay. I'll never use clay in shaving soap again.

Many serious wet shavers call clay mud and won't use products that contain it. Probably not important if you are making soap for yourself but if you ever intend to sell its something to keep in mind.

Actually I do a good business with my shaving soaps both on Badger & Blade and wholesale. Yes there are some who don't like it, but others don't care as long as they are getting a really good shave with it. I use additional glycerin in my shave soaps as well as the clay. ;) I'm Malaspina Soap Factory. The wholesale accounts are private label using my formula

ETA I'm on a sabbatical right now due to some health issues.

I hope you are feeling better soon too Lindy!!! I've not added clay to my shaving soap but might have to give it at try....I have some die hard customers who really like it the way it is.

Lindy, I hope you mend quickly and completely! :smile:

Depending on which version of my shave soap formula I am making, I'll either use clay or not.

Let me start out by saying that my hubby has always loved my regular shave soap formula that I've always made for him with kaolin clay. He's always gotten a smooth glide with it, excellent cushion/protection, a baby butt smooth shave with absolutely no cuts or even a tiny nick, and it made his face feel awesome with no dryness or tightness afterwards.

Then I did some 'clay-less' experiments over the summer with my regular shave formula as a result of the passionate 'badgering' of the dirt eschewing, crazy wet shaving dudes here (absolutely no hard feelings dudes- I say that good-naturedly with a twinkle in my smiling Irish eyes), and contrary to their hopes, the results confirmed that using clay was absolutely essential to that particular formula.........at least 'as is'.

Without the addition of clay to that formula 'as is', hubby reported that there was no cushion in the lather at all and that it was the 'crappiest shave' he's ever had with my soap (I told him not to hold back on the critique, and he didn't, lol). Never had he felt so vulnerable using my shave soap before.

But then, when I tweaked my formula by replacing some of my tallow and butters with straight stearic acid to bring my total stearic level up over a certain % while leaving out the clay, surprise, surprise- hubby had a wonderfully pleasant, glide-y, cushiony shave (and he still is).

I learned a few new things that day- 1) that the crazy wet-shaving dudes were probably not so crazy after all and had a valid point, and 2) that clay was completely unnecessary in my particular formula- just as long as my stearic levels were high enough.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back