Re-purposed CP soap for inlays in new bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Instead of shredding and "rebathing" bars that don't turn out as I had planned, I had wondered about cutting them into strips or chunks and using them as inlays for future batches. This could make for interesting geometrical shapes, but I'm fearing separation between the new soap and the inlaid layers of re-purposed soap. Anyone have experience with this or advice on how to proceed?

I have done a bunch of this recently, I haven't had any problems with separation. I cut the pieces fairly thin because I worry about breaking a wire on my cutter. My pieces aren't real big, and it does take time to cut everything. I've used already made bars, and I save extra colors from each batch.
I usually cut everything into the sizes I want and then go back and color match for each batch.

I like to chop up or shred colored soap bits to mix into a white soap, makes a really pretty confetti bar. I've never had it separate but if you are worried about it, slightly dampen your pieces before mixing with the new batter.

Don't do what I did, and hold onto your cuts and scraps and randoms for a future project for like.........6 months.............and then try and put them into a new batch of soap.

I did that and had SUPER crumble-age/separation when cutting = botchy bars. I believe it's because the chunks were so much drier, and harder than the new soap.

Now, If I'm going to use ends or cuts for inlaying in new bars, I am sure to use them within a week, while they're still moister (hate that word). I'm sure you could go longer but that bad bacth left a bad taste in my mouth so I do things differently now - I try to keep my pieces within a few days of each other - and I find that this works good for me.

Last edited:
Imbeds are fun to play with. Some people can make some really cool soap with them. Check out these from Sirona Springs:

I've only experimented a couple times, but would like to do more. One was to divide in half, longitudinally, a whole batch that I didn't like, then carve angles in it and pour new soap over the top to create a mountain scene.

The other was a little more traditional with smaller chunks and strips (pic below).

There's a lot you can do with it. Just be sure to moisten older scraps first like others have warned. I don't know if there is a point of no return on reviving dry scraps, but give it a try and post pics along the way!

twin towers2.JPG

DeeAnna & CaraBou the mosaic you've shown is like what I have been making instead of shreds of soap. I have cut the soap in all kinds of shapes, and some very small which I call Kaleidoscope. The only problem is that the Kaleidoscope takes a lot of time to sort the colors and cut into small pieces. I have mostly given these as donations since for me it is a good way to make sure nothing goes to waste.

Crap, now I have to go start shredding soap! Very cool! That green looks like tree leaves.

A grating blade in a food processor works well too, if you don't mind washing it well afterwards.

I've also used a vegetable peeler to cut longer spirals of soap. That's fun for a confetti soap.

Latest posts

Back