First 'on my own' batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished my first on my own batch, made with coconut oil,olive oil and crisco, scented with peppermint EO. I made this mid week last week and have cut 1/2 a bar to try - I couldn't wait! :) Not as moisturising as I had hoped but I am happy with the lather, rinse off and cleansing. I will be switching to goat milk anyway and will see how that feels before changing up the recipe. I mixed at 125 degrees, and felt like trace was quick after adding the EO. I ended up with some small holes due to not pouring with a thinner trace. For the goat milk I don't plan to add EO anyway. Very exciting! :)

It won't be as moisturizing as its meant to be until its been cured for at least 6 weeks. Also, depends on how much coconut oil you used in your recipe and your tolerance for it. I prefer 10-20% coconut oil in my soap as more makes my skin itchy and dry feeling while others like theirs at 30% or more. Superfatting can make a difference too.

Anyway, congrats on your first soap. Try it again after a full cure time to get the full conditioning benefits of your soap. If you still don't like then make changes to it.

Once you get that first batch under your belt, it's much easier going next time. If you change only one variable at a time, it's easier to troubleshoot if something goes awry. Milk soaps come with their own set of challenges, so it's probably a good thing that you don't plan on adding fragrance. Take it slow and easy and you'll do just fine. Congrats on this successful batch! :thumbup:

:clap: congratulations on the first batch. Wait at leas 6-8 weeks for a good cure. You could also use the piece you just used for a learning experience: each week you could take note of how your skin feels while you use it. That's pretty much what I'm dong with few soaps I have at my disposal.

Latest posts

Back