Single Oil Soap Experiment:Phase One

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredibly useful. Thank you for taking your time to do this. Even your "yellow" soaps are whiter than mine. what's up with that? Am i Not tracing far enough?
I doubt tracing has anything to do with the color. Different suppliers, different harvests, different manufacturers all make a difference in the oil you get. Maybe scope out the pictures and reference your own formula to see the differences..maybe you can swap out one of the more yellow oils for a lighter/whiter oil?

Most of my oils for this experiment came from Wholesale Supplies Plus, with the exception of Tallow (as well as my lye from Essential Depot), Lard (Armour brand from Wal-Mart), Olive (Daily Chef from Sam's Club), Canola & Corn (CWV from WalMart), and Peanut (LouAna from Walmart).

Thank you for posting this. This was some really useful information and a lot of food for thought!

Excellent job! So...at this point do you see any changes to your formulas or are you holding out for phase II results?

Excellent job! So...at this point do you see any changes to your formulas or are you holding out for phase II results?

I'm holding out for the results farther down the road. I was really surprised with Corn and Peanut's lathering capabilities...but I'm concerned with rancidity and longevity at the moment. I've actually never had DOS on a bar I've made, but I have seen and received rancid soap (Thanks to my aunt...don't tell her I told you! :silent:) and I would prefer to avoid that, of course. My current formula for most of my soaps is Olive/Coconut/Castor/Palm, some with Pumpkin Seed Oil or Cocoa Butter (or Shea) added. I'm pretty happy with the results that I get now, but have considered dropping Palm, and after this experiment, I'm considering it even more...possibly upping the Coconut (and superfat %) a little and adding a butter in its place. Also, I may swap out some Olive Oil for Avocado and/or Rice Bran in some of my formulas. I've used both before, but could not have attributed certain qualities to them as they were part of a formula, and not a single oil soap.

I'm holding out for the results farther down the road. I was really surprised with Corn and Peanut's lathering capabilities...but I'm concerned with rancidity and longevity at the moment. I've actually never had DOS on a bar I've made, but I have seen and received rancid soap (Thanks to my aunt...don't tell her I told you! :silent:) and I would prefer to avoid that, of course. My current formula for most of my soaps is Olive/Coconut/Castor/Palm, some with Pumpkin Seed Oil or Cocoa Butter (or Shea) added. I'm pretty happy with the results that I get now, but have considered dropping Palm, and after this experiment, I'm considering it even more...possibly upping the Coconut (and superfat %) a little and adding a butter in its place. Also, I may swap out some Olive Oil for Avocado and/or Rice Bran in some of my formulas. I've used both before, but could not have attributed certain qualities to them as they were part of a formula, and not a single oil soap.

I used avocado oil in a designed rebatch and there appeared to be some small DOS spots but wasn't sure. The oil was about 9 months old at the time. Haven't used it since. No matter though the French Lavender hand milled soap came out looking a lot like Spam...yuck.

Latest posts

Back