yellow dock bah humbug

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubato456

Reaction score
arghhh. i tried it again w/ yellow dock. i must have some bad stuff or something. i tried cooling the lye solution before i added the YDP to about 130 or so. i figured warm enough to get it nicely in solution but hopefully not too hot. i used i tsp ppo or about i tb total. to say it looks blood red is being generous....i'm sure it will go brown AGAIN. where is the wonderful light pink everyone else seems to get w/it???? the other bummer is that i thought, ok even if it comes out dark i'll do another funnel swirl, at least that is cool.....i forgot that since i added the ydp to the lye, EVERYTHING is colored......duhh how stupid can i be??? oh well i did a funnel swirl prior to this batch today that i don't think went well. i used ultramarine pink and this did not look very pink.....i don't think the swirl will be too good but i'll just have to see :cry:

hope everyone else had a better soap day than me.... :!:

Oh! So sorry! That is not a fun day. I have faith that it will turn out for you!!!

I had to work all weekend, so no sudsy for me. :cry:

I find I am better off mentally if I wait until I take it out of the mold before I panic / sweat / scream / swear . Colors in soap change so much , you can be pleasantly surprised .

Kitn

[quoteI find I am better off mentally if I wait until I take it out of the mold before I panic / sweat / scream / swear . Colors in soap change so much , you can be pleasantly surprised .

[/quote]

So true and a lot of times even if the color doesn't turn out they still don't look too bad.

It's still frustrating though when things don't go they way you want them too.I'm sorry.

If it's too dark for you, try .5 tsp ppo. It that is still too dark, take it to .25. I just soaped yellow dock, today and got a dark mauve with 2T in a 3lb batch, which I halved. So I guess that would be 2T in 1.5lbs. I didn't know it was going to be that dark because it was my first YD batch...but I loved the color I got. It's really about test and see what works. Just keep reducing the amount until you get the color you want.

Back