May 2017 SMF Soap Challenge - fluid acrylic cell pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to May's 2017 SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This months voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge is the fluid acrylic cell pour, inspired by this video - "Water & Fire" by Black Cat Blues-Premium Hand Made Art Soap by soaper Vicki Frost

This challenge requires that you create 'cell' embeds and place them on the top of your bars.

SMF Challenge Specific Rules

*You need to use a slab pour. If you do not have a slab mold, you can use a loaf mold - but pour as if it is a slab.
*Your cells should stand out from the background they are placed on and must include at least 2 colors.
*The layer the cells are embedded into must also use at least 2 colors, and those 2 colors must be different than the colors in your cells. (For example: if your cells are black, white, and red, the top of your soap can be blue, yellow and black, as 2 of the top colors are different than what is used in the cells)
*You may layer this several times as Vicki does in her video - but this is not required.

*Your entry needs to contain a picture of the whole slab before it is cut, and then a picture of at least one cut bar. The bar will be used as the image when voting starts.

Challenge Entry Thread Opens May 20, 2017.
Challenge Entry Thread Closes May 28, 2017 (11:59pm CST)
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens May 28th.
Winners Announced May 31, 2017.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.
· After the closing date, the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on both threads. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

2017-04-30-Soap_Image-1001.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I was gonna wait til tonight, but I figured people might need extra time as this is going to require you make 2 separate small batches of soap. Here is the video link https://youtu.be/aXIPs-QX308. I will post my cut pics soon, I had to wash the ash off them so they are drying. Feel free to post any questions and I will be happy to answer.

1. dibbles - I've done this with paint - super fun!
2. Newbie-love me some new techniques
3. Artemis- I have a vision forming in my mind. I hope I have time to do it!
4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.

Alright, this might be above my paygrade, but I am always loving to learn new things, so I will give it a shot.

1. dibbles - I've done this with paint - super fun!
2. Newbie-love me some new techniques
3. Artemis- I have a vision forming in my mind. I hope I have time to do it!
4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.
5. SunRiseArts - going in scared !

Question: does this has to be a CP process only? Or is MP allowed? This would be so great on MP....

Also do the cells on top have to be round, or can they be any shape like in the other video?

I have an idea brewing - can the cells, once poured, be manipulated in any way to change the shape, or do they have to be as they are poured. For example, could a skewer be used to change the outside shape, or to swirl colors within a cell? I haven't tried this yet, so it might be a complete bust anyway.

I have an idea brewing - can the cells, once poured, be manipulated in any way to change the shape, or do they have to be as they are poured. For example, could a skewer be used to change the outside shape, or to swirl colors within a cell? I haven't tried this yet, so it might be a complete bust anyway.

No, the cells should not be manipulated while pouring. The colors will swirl if you pour the colors correctly. Add your colored batter slowly - so it sits on top of your base cell color. You could use a spoon to get the colors closer to the surface of your base (or a squeeze bottle). Pour small amounts and add more color often. change whatever your last color is as it will be more prominent in those cells. You can cut some to make them fit the design you are making on the top of the slab.

Latest posts

Back