~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > What soapy thing have you done today?

Old 05-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #5611
Mighty Mama

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Soaped up a storm this morning and then did some research on master batching oils and lye. Time to start getting more streamlined with my production as orders are picking up!

Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 05-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #5612
VonnieDeak

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default To Zany_in_CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany_in_CO View Post
Hi Vonnie, Quick question, the way I read this, you used Aloe Vera Gel to make the lye solution, yes?
Yes, you can substitute Aloe Gel instead of the water to get a more conditioning soap. I added the castor, shea butter and aloe vera mixed with lye to cut down on the coconut oil's harshness when using so much. So far so good. They are curing perfectly and smelling wonderful!!!

Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #5613
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1555 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Today I removed the soap wafers from the freezer paper on the cookie sheet & placed them on one of my air-ventilation friendly drying trays and put them under a fan to encourage more drying. They're ready enough to use in the challenge soap, but the base can use a bit more drying time, too, so they're both under the fan.

Before that, I removed the very thin base from the slab mold and flipped it over so the top will become the bottom. I wasn't sure I was going to do that but went for it because I like the former top and the bottom looks like tie-dyed fabric without much design. Hubby said this morning that on first glance (the top) looked like Monet's Water Lilies. Well, at least until he next walked by the actual Monet's Water Lilies print that I have hanging on the wall. In any case, way better than a nondescript tie-dye shirt look.

I'll continue with the rest of the soap layers in a couple of hours or so since I want a bit more drying time for these two.

I also put in an order for NaOH. ED is having a free shipping offer and a 40% off sale right now, so I was able to save quite a lot on this order. Happy me.

I also used up all my masterbatched lye yesterday, so have to make some more.

Last edited by earlene; Yesterday at 04:23 PM.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #5614
TheDragonGirl
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 674 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Made a large batch of liquid soap paste
People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #5615
MySoapyHeart
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1060 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1031

Just found out that my scale is broken, so I can`t make soap untill I get a new one.

Great.

And I just got a new oil from Natures Garden too...and is smells soooo good, too!

Siiigh!

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #5616
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1555 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

MySoapyHeart, I feel for you!

My scale has an AC adapter that sometimes acts up. I'll go to turn on my scale and it doesn't turn on. The first time this happened I thought my scale was broken. But then I thought I should at least try to plug it into another outlet and it worked. Then I plugged it back in at the original outlet & it worked. So now when that happens, I move the plug to another outlet & it works. I'm guessing I need to get a new AC adapter, but it keeps working this way, so I haven't done as yet.

But I do have to replace my smaller scale for the 0.01g measurements & so I am trying to choose between two tempting models right this very moment.
MySoapyHeart Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #5617
MySoapyHeart
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1060 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene View Post
MySoapyHeart, I feel for you!

My scale has an AC adapter that sometimes acts up. I'll go to turn on my scale and it doesn't turn on. The first time this happened I thought my scale was broken. But then I thought I should at least try to plug it into another outlet and it worked. Then I plugged it back in at the original outlet & it worked. So now when that happens, I move the plug to another outlet & it works. I'm guessing I need to get a new AC adapter, but it keeps working this way, so I haven't done as yet.

But I do have to replace my smaller scale for the 0.01g measurements & so I am trying to choose between two tempting models right this very moment.
Thanks!
Mine is a simple one, but has been very trustworthy. It doesn`t have an adapter, just batteries that I changed just now. I set it on the bench, a completely level surface, and it fluctuates between 5 to13 grams up to 28 with nothing on it! It is like it is constantly weighing the air, lol.

I can`t seem to get a break, out computer is acting up too. But old things tend to make troubble, even if you take good care of them.

Good luck choosing models, I know after I started making soap I am even MORE picky about quality than I used to be.

After all, weighing lye vs. weighing minced meat... the outcome is very different if the scale ain`t up to par : P