~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > What soapy thing have you done today?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #6531
Misschief

Liked 677 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Yay!! sounds like you're getting over your slump!!

Old 01-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #6532
amd

Liked 681 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
Yay!! sounds like you're getting over your slump!!
Getting there! I usually masterbatch 24lbs every 10 days or so, but it's been closer to 4 weeks since the last time I masterbatched. While I could blame that on holidays and sickness (I spent about 3 days in bed the week after Christmas, not sure if I was actually sick or just depressed, Chris was kind enough to humor me and let me sleep whatever it was off) the majority of it was that I really didn't want to make soap. I think the suggestions here to try different things have really helped, I'm somewhat excited about the CPLS attempt. I'm 100% sure that it will never be something that I sell, but it is something I would like to get good at making just to be able to do it.

People Like This 
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #6533
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1321 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 833

Got my individual bar molds in today, along with the other loaf molds I bought. I can make over a dozen batches of soap before I run out of molds at this point, and that's NOT including the individual silicone molds I use for overflow. I think I might, just maybe, have enough soap molds. For now.

Tonight, I think I'm going to make a BIG batch of shaving soap- everyone I gave some of the first batch to to try out is wanting more, so I think this batch I'll use those lovely bar molds and make half a dozen or so bars. Should last us all for a couple of months, at least. I may also take a swing at some salt bars. Going to leave the first set of those unscented, though I'm thinking I might add some color just because.

Checked on the soap I made last night, and it's still warm on the bottom so it gets to sit for a while yet. Looks like it gelled all the way through, so that's good.
amd Likes This 
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #6534
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2453 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 1883

I was going to make soap, since I wasn't sure how my challenge soap was going to turn out, but I was so happy with it, all I did was cut it, photograph it, admire it and trim it a little bit. I even had a mold all ready and marked for where to fill to for each section, but it just sits there now. I really should start putting some soaps into the curing area and stop admiring them.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 01-16-2018, 04:00 AM   #6535
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 995

amd my baby used to be in the swim team in high school too!

I made a batch for the challenge today. Crossing fingers that the hearts come out right!
amd Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM   #6536
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1321 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 833

I made a BIG batch of shaving soap. 1000g of oils. I've got 18 bars of shaving soap sitting on my counter just now, in my new bar molds. I think it'll take a while to go through it all. Used the same recipe that I did for the first batch, from the Songwind thread, just lowered the coconut by 5% and added 5% more shea butter, as well as upping the SF from 5 to 7%.

I decided to do bars because almost everyone who I'm making this for is female, and pucks aren't all that easy to use on legs and the whole brush thing is pretty much right out for any lady I know (including myself). I'm hoping bars will be easier.

I did wind up with about 20 grams extra water in the soap. I held out some shea to add after the cook and tried to float it in a hot water bath, but the bowl sank and it got a little hot water mixed in with the shea, which of course immediately started melting so I couldn't just pour off the water. Shouldn't be enough to mess anything up, it got thoroughly mixed in.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM   #6537
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2453 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 1883

I've been looking at soap photos online. I am not particularly fond of round soap, but rimmed soap does interest me. So I started looking for non-round rimmed soaps and there are some lovely ones that are square or rectangular rimmed soaps. Maybe I will try that one day instead of round ones. I think what would work really well would be to use a column mold rather, perhaps a quart sized milk carton as a tall mold and lining the outer edges. I've never been tempted to buy a vertical mold because they are so expensive. Maybe if I try it once and like it I will be tempted to buy one, if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Zany_in_CO Likes This