Felted Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posifiber

Reaction score
I have never seen felted soap until today. I took a fibers class in college and learned how to make felt not too long ago and lately I've been interested in making my own soap..so...looks like I've found my next project.

I thought those tea bag soaps were cute too. I'm not sure who designed these though.

Alpaca is a nice fiber to use, though it takes a little more effort to get it to felt completely, and some needling may be advantageous in applying decorations.

Those fibers are part of the soap itself or just a form of packaging ?

generally, fine roving is wound around the wet soap bar... corner to corner (X-wise), end over end, and then finally spiral-wise from one end to the other.. Then the entire bar is submerged in very HOT water, stuffed in a plastic baggie or wrapped in saran wrap and "agitated". Then it is plunged into icewater. Repeat heating agitating and chilling until the felt sets.

Once your base felt sets, you can needlefelt decorations to the base felt.

I am sure there are other ways to get your base felt secured around your soap, but this is the method I learned.

Sorry for a silly question, but ...

And are you supposed to use the soap with that wet rag attached to it ?

This falls under the: "How do you eat lobster?" type of questions :oops:

No problem with the questions... I was skeptical as well when I first saw the concept... having made my own, though, I am a convert.

This is an especially good way to get rid of soaps that you don't want to rebatch (because of color, FO, content, whatevs).

Yes... just wet the soap and lather up between your hands as you would normally; the felt acts as a built-in washcloth... then you rinse the felt thoroughly when done and allow it to drain and dry.

I especially like the alpaca because the fibers are fine enough to not be too abrasive on my skin (I are a delicate flower... :-/ ), though YMMV.

I will bet they are needlefelted.

Here is a reasonably good 101 on NF. There are plenty of others, but this woman's enthusiasm is infectious.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkdGCiu7Tzk[/ame]

Latest posts

Back