What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Churned out 2 batches plus a bonus:
  1. Back by popular demand - Activated Charcoal/Kaolin Clay. This time in a Taiwan style bar scented with tea tree and lavender essential oils.
  2. ”Milk and Honey” Goat’s Milk soap scented with lavender EO, vanilla and honey-almond FO in a drop swirl. To be honest, I don’t really care for goat’s milk. It’s fussy to work with due to the scorching/chilling/partial gel risk and whatnot. And the finished smell is a bit rich for my tastes. I can get the same rich lather results in a nice white bar using coconut milk. But, if I’m going to sell at farmer’s markets, I’m guessing a goat’s milk bar is sort of the “union card.” I used stabilizer to tame the vanilla, but I think one of the colors may have morphed a bit. (One of these days I’m going to finally give up on that CC matte purple—it’s the Charlie Brown/Lucy/Football scenario of soaping.)
  3. The bonus is a Dead Sea Salt Scrub. It was an experiment and my first experience with a salt scrub. I used 2 parts fine Dead Sea salt to 1 part avocado oil with a few drops of lemon and rosemary EOs. I also added Meyer lemon zest and juice from our surprise late harvest (they usually ripen during the holidays) and finely chopped/pulverized rosemary and thyme from our garden boxes. I tried it with skepticism, expecting greasy hands that I’d then need to turn around and wash, but I was absolutely amazed. I rubbed a scant 1/4 teaspoon in my hands front and back, and it just disappeared. My hands felt clean and soft and smelled great with no rinsing needed. Janice assumed I’d bought it at the farmer’s market earlier and said it looked like an oily mess. She tried it and had the same reaction as mine. If you haven’t tried it, do. I’ll be making more.
Clearly more than you wanted to know about my day. :computerbath: Sorry.
Here’s the results
Not sure if the soap discolored or just started off with that one not so great shade that was supposed to be purple. The lavender and blue stayed true. There is a slight partial gel evident on some bars. The batter got a bit thick, from the vanilla, I believe, to get good penetration even though I poured from really high. Debated running my rod through it, but opted not to. Meh, it is what is it.

The charcoal and kaolin were exactly as I had hoped.

Attachments

• 428377E8-84CA-423F-94F4-53776E57C717.jpeg
    428377E8-84CA-423F-94F4-53776E57C717.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 61
  • B698643E-ADF2-4C36-9566-F3B8B8C16BEE.jpeg
    B698643E-ADF2-4C36-9566-F3B8B8C16BEE.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 64
Here’s the results
Not sure if the soap discolored or just started off with that one not so great shade that was supposed to be purple. The lavender and blue stayed true. There is a slight partial gel evident on some bars. The batter got a bit thick, from the vanilla, I believe, to get good penetration even though I poured from really high. Debated running my rod through it, but opted not to. Meh, it is what is it.

The charcoal and kaolin were exactly as I had hoped.
Love that charcoal and kaolin - nice swirl!

I might have "accidentally" ordered 15 new FOs from Nature's Garden...plus two EOs. Oops??
Ha! I put them all in my 'shopping cart' and then give myself a reality check, and usually end up buying one or two. And that's only if I'm ordering other supplies from them anyway.
I need to start using up some of the ones I've already got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! I put them all in my 'shopping cart' and then give myself a reality check, and usually end up buying one or two. And that's only if I'm ordering other supplies from them anyway.
I need to start using up some of the ones I've already got.
That's what I usually do...but I had like 10 in there and NG sent me a message saying I got a $0.50 discount on each FO since I ordered so many 1oz bottles. And then I was like well really I'm WASTING money if I don't take advantage!! And $60 later here I am...with more FO's already than I can use...
LOL, Accidentally, huh? I wonder if the hubby would buy that one....Hmmm:D

KiwiMoose, same thing I do. lol
BF and I don't share a bank account YET...but he buys enough for himself that I think it would about even out ;) I bet your hubby would be thrilled for you if you "won" a "giveaway"........

I must learn to be more subtle!! Really cross that I had already put the mica in the jugs before pouring the batter in to colour it. I didn't really want it this bright. And yer can't take it out once it's already in.
Never mind. I'm sure it'll still be OK. It's blue on the bottom with a confetti 'sandwich' in the middle:
IMG_1064.JPG

Well my Dry pooped the bed :mad: so I was trying to fix that and looking at my wet clothes. So most of the day went to the laundry mat
Tonight I sat and Stamped 100 boxes and filled about 64 of them with cured soap.

Well my Dry pooped the bed :mad: so I was trying to fix that and looking at my wet clothes. So most of the day went to the laundry mat
Tonight I sat and Stamped 100 boxes and filled about 64 of them with cured soap.
Dry? and whatever that is, it doesnt sound pleasant to clean up.

I just finished a test batch of Soap scented with Wisteria but made with Lilac Infused Lard. I have my other normal oils in it too but Im curious to see how this turns out.

KiwiMoose,

I usually mix my colors in a separate little cup with a bit of oil, and add as needed, specially if I am not familiar with the color yet. It cuts down on disappointment after all that hard work. It looks great from here. I hope you share the cut. Would love to see it.

I started a list of which oils I need to use up soon, so more soap to make this week. I'll be working on a recipe to incorporate some of these oils. I do believe I'll also be making some confetti soap. Because I have a bunch of soap to bevel with my new tool. And I need to start a package for Hubby to take to work to give out to his co-workers.

Funny thing: Last week he told me one of his co-workers asked what I put in my soap to make it last so long. I was surprised, as was he, because she told him the bar of soap that I made that she uses only for shaving her legs has lasted a year and is still going. So he suggested maybe she isn't shaving her legs often enough. That was my second thought. But she told him she shaves her legs every day. Which I believe is rather odd, and thought maybe he mis-heard her. In any case, I wonder which soap of mine is she using? I want to know which one is lasting a year, especially if she really is using it everyday, which I doubt. What female shaves her legs every day for 365 days in a row? I never have.

Back