~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At August 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > The Photo Gallery > 8 batches this weekend! Questions!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:03 AM   #11
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2007 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 695

I love the dimensional affect the black and white swirls has - never seen anything like it!

You may need to rethink the "grandma" label of the lavender and rose soaps. My biggest takers of those scents are young (under 30) men and women - in that order!!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:38 AM   #12
SoapTrey
Soap Maker
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 108 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Very Nice Soaps. I think you have a great idea with the leaf impressions, please show us an after pic. I've thought of trying it in the past, but never actually put into practice because I didn't think it would create the detail I was looking for.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #13
jules92207
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 333

These are all beautiful!

Old 09-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
lionprincess00
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1089 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 872

I use cellophane (saran wrap) to cover mine for about 3 to 5 days after unmolded and cut. Of course I cut in less than 12 hrs, but if I use higher water and have to wait longer, then I cover in mold as well as afterwards. I turn them upside down too so any ash will not ruin my tops. Beyween that and cpoping them, I never get ash. Alcohol never worked for me and even at 40% lye concentration and cpop, some occasionally would still get ash. After the cellophane trick, I never do anymore. When I cover I do it loosely so there is some breathing room. It doesn't seem to take noticeable time off my cure.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
GreenDragon

Liked 42 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks cmzaha, I'll pass that along to the wife. Although, I have no qualms using my brother as a beta tester

As for using plastic wrap, as several have posted above, I was covering in an attempt to prevent ash after spraying the tops with alcohol. Moving forward as others have suggested I am just going to concentrate on ensuring a complete gel using CPOP, as I didn't have any issues with my larger 1 and 2 pound pours, only when using the individual molds.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #16
dixiedragon

Liked 3661 Times on 2109 Posts
Likes Given: 1614

Unlike most things, ash is easier to cure than to prevent. Before you slice your soap, use a wire cheese cutter and just slice off the top of the log. Then slice into bars.

I'm gonna disagree with Cmzaha - I have no problem with you gifting these bars. They're from a kit, not from a recipe you made yourself, so they'll be safe to use. Could they be better? Probably. But assuming you followed directions, they are safe bars made from soap-safe ingredients.

I'm glad you're having fun!

I've said this before - but I very very rarely get ash and I think it's because I use a dehumidifier. I have a soaper who lives near me - we're using very similar recipes (tap water, lard, etc) yet I get little to no ash and she get some ash. The only difference - I use a dehumidifier.
Susie Likes This 
Old 09-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #17
GreenDragon

Liked 42 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
I love the dimensional affect the black and white swirls has - never seen anything like it!

You may need to rethink the "grandma" label of the lavender and rose soaps. My biggest takers of those scents are young (under 30) men and women - in that order!!
Thanks Lenarenee. I was really impressed how well it came out myself! The white side is natural - no pigments added and is actually slightly tan. All I did was divide the batter, add charcoal to 1/2, and poured them in at the same time, then took a thick wooden chop stick to make the swirls, going all the way to the bottom. I think the wood "grabbed" the soap more than a plastic or metal rod would, and helped make that translucent effect where the colors barely blended IMHO.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #18
jcandleattic

Liked 463 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiseArts View Post
Not sure why you are covering your soaps with plastic? Did I understood that right? I heard people covering with a wood cover or fabric, bur never with plastic, which might be why is still soft. Personally I never cover my soaps. What you need to do is when you are done, spray with alcohol the top, to prevent soda ash. If that does not work, you can deal with it later if necessary.
I cover almost every batch I make with cling wrap. I know a lot of soapers that do this. My soap is never soft because of it.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:21 AM   #19
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4824 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Unlike most things, ash is easier to cure than to prevent. Before you slice your soap, use a wire cheese cutter and just slice off the top of the log. Then slice into bars.

I'm gonna disagree with Cmzaha - I have no problem with you gifting these bars. They're from a kit, not from a recipe you made yourself, so they'll be safe to use. Could they be better? Probably. But assuming you followed directions, they are safe bars made from soap-safe ingredients.

I'm glad you're having fun!

I've said this before - but I very very rarely get ash and I think it's because I use a dehumidifier. I have a soaper who lives near me - we're using very similar recipes (tap water, lard, etc) yet I get little to no ash and she get some ash. The only difference - I use a dehumidifier.
Apparently I missed the "kit" part so I will definately agree with Dixiedragon. Sorry, I need to learn to read...

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area